Ammonia in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaytonaReefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have fish in QT due to ich. Came home today and went to feed the fish and noticed they were not hungry. Did an ammonia test and it was showing 2.0. Did an emergency 50% water change. Just tested again and still at 2.0. How long should I wait to do another water change. Everything I can find says 24 hours. Will the fish be ok for 24 hours in a high Ammonia or does it take a few hours for the numbers to drop after the water change.

A QT tank should be having water changes daily. This is due to not being able to keep beneficial bacteria in QT or hospital tanks due to treating with either copper based medications or hyposalinity.
If you still read ammonia after the water change, give it a couple hours and do another. If you are heating your water for changes, you can do it more frequently if the water temps match.

if your doing a 50% water change to lower ammonia you should wait at-least 4hrs after the water change to get a accurate reading .

a 50% water change should drop you down by 1/2
before water change 2.0
After water change 1.0

most wait between changes at least 8/12 hrs as it is less likely to shock the fish.

Me if I see a lethal levels present I always do 2 50% water changes back to back yes I will put 2 hrs in-between water changes as a buffer I feel this is enough time for the fish to settle , it's a bit more aggressive but I have used this method since day 1 with good results.

everyone has their own preference on how they perform these emergency water changes . not everyone will agree on the aggressive method as we all have our own opinions . it's more about what makes you comfortable .

Back
Top Bottom