Ammonia issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. Been following these forums for awhile now and I love all the info, so thanks to all.

Now I get to make my first post. Lol.

I have a 38 gal tank with the following.
4 tiger barbs
1 rosy barb
3 odessa barbs
3 clown loaches
1 shimmering gourami (think that is the name)

I had ammonia issues at christmas and because of work failed to notice in time and lost some fish.

Had it all fixed at the end of jan and added the loaches and odessa barbs. all has been good until the last two weeks I can't seem to shake a ammonia reading of 0.5ppm.
Nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5ppm.

I have done 2 pwc each of the last two weeks and included prime in the change.

Fish look healthy and are active. Am I over stocked? I do have plans this christmas to get a bigger tank because I do know the loaches will grow. (they are currently small)

any suggestions would be wonderful.

Have you tested your tap water prior to adding prime? It could be the curse of being a leafs fan :D just kidding. You could double up on your water changes, but I would test your tap water

Well interestingly enough the tsp water is registering ammonia. I would say between 0.25ppm and 0.5ppm.

I tested it a couple of months ago and all was fine so I just kept with that assumption.

Seeing as this is my main water source anything I can do to the water prior to going in my tank? I use a vacuum to suck water out and refill.

Oh and chronos I could believe the stress the leafs have caused me could have been passed to my fish ;)

Haha after falling flat after the all star game yuppers. You could try dechlorinated water. Or if your patient enough you could let your water sit and degas for a few days before changing if you have buckets to do it with. To be honest I've never tested my water but my ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm and my nitrates were higher two days ago so I did a pwc and got it to 20 and I'm doing another one tomorrow to get it closer to 5ppm.

Back
Top Bottom