Ammonia Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatalieFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Nataliefish here, i've been told that ill be needing an ammonia kit and some water conditioner. my first question is what does an ammonia kit consist of? and also if i leave the water out in a container without its top of course for 24-48 hours do i need to use water conditioner? Thank you very much. I am still working at putting my fish tank back together after the massive cleaning. im trying to get the guts to put in the water heater ( i have a fear that ill electrocute the fish ). I want to make sure i know all the tricks, and anything else i may not know!

thank you very much. hopefully after all this advice i've been getting, i can help new people :)

thanks again!

first off, it would be in your best interest to get master test kit. one that will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. second, leaving the water out is debatable... depends on who you ask. chlorine will evaporate, but if there is any chloramine in the water, its a little harder to get rid of without conditioner. Third, what do you mean by "guts" of your heater?

okay so, a master test kit would have a ammonia test kit in it along wioth other ones. just go pick up a master test kit at petsmart or petco.

re:

first off, it would be in your best interest to get master test kit. one that will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. second, leaving the water out is debatable... depends on who you ask. chlorine will evaporate, but if there is any chloramine in the water, its a little harder to get rid of without conditioner. Third, what do you mean by "guts" of your heater?

Thank you. I've heard of the master test kit through the chat here. what i meant by "guts" is well, bringing myself to do it, with the fear of electrocuting my fish. getting the guts to put in the water heater.. i have it in right now. and im waiting before i plug it in.

Thanks again!

re:

okay so, a master test kit would have a ammonia test kit in it along wioth other ones. just go pick up a master test kit at petsmart or petco.

petsmart or pecto. ill remember t hat. thanks and thanks again!

thanks for clearing that up lol... i understood it that you had removed the "guts" from the heater and were going to put them back in... i understand now lol

Make sure it's the liquid test kit and not the dip strips, the strips are not very accurate.

petsmart or pecto. ill remember t hat. thanks and thanks again!

sometimes through the on-line sites you can get them a few bucks cheaper, but that might not apply for the shipping to Canada. Forgot Big Al's has a Great White North Site http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA...quariumpharmaceuticalsfreshwatermastertestkit The link is a that kit that most of us use here.

Not trying to plug Big Al's but they and other mail order sites mentioned here usually have things a few bucks cheaper than a retail store.

You can check with your local water municipal and see if they use chloramine in the water. Personally, I'd just go the water conditioner route to be on the safe side. Prime is a great water conditioner.

I second the recomendation for Big Al's for a master test kit as well, I've ordered from the US site and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Back
Top Bottom