Ammonia level to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 20 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now and happen to check the ammonia level and it's high at about 2.0 so I did a 25% water change waited 2 more days and checked it again and its still the same so I went to petland and they suggested I buy ammo lock and I've tried it for the past 4 days and it still high any suggestion on What I should do I want to get new fish but scared they might die with the ammonia being so high pleased someone help me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well good thing you didn't ask for fish advice from your pet store. Products like Ammo lock are not the solution to your ammonia problem. What do you have in the tank currently? Without anything in there, I'm surprised your ammonia level is spiking up.

First, do a 90+% (or complete) water change to get rid of all the chemicals you've been putting in the tank.

Then do fishless cycling - google it, or there are sticky threads in this site that should guide you through the process. It is simple and can be very fast if you have media from an established tank. DO NOT buy any fish until your tank is completely cycled. DO NOT buy "beneficial" bacteria upon recommendation from the guys at Petsmart or Petland or whatever. Do your research and then do more research or ask here on how to stock your tank.

Good luck.

I currently have about 3 mollies 2 angel fishes a little catfish and blue electric harp all my bothers one have died ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sadly you stuck in a fish in cycle now.

Do 33-50% water changes once a day to start bringing it down, continue using AmmoLock after each WC.

Take note that after the ammonia problem is fixed your nitrites will probably be high next. Ammolock doesn't detox nitrite so you'll need to get some Prime once you hit this stage.

Continue with wcs until the nitrites are gone. Your now done cycling.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Agree with Fel. I'd even say you owe it to the fishes to get Prime now. Water changes + 4 -5 times the normal prime dose when you see nitrites .

Another thing to do is see if your LFS will hold the fishes for you. I've done that in the past, but you need a good rapport with them for that. Good luck to you and the fishes.

Back
Top Bottom