Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike32

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank cycled a couple months ago but since then my ammonia levels stay constant at 0.25 ppm. I change 20-30% of the water once per week. Should my ammonia be at 0 ppm? Any ideas why it is not?

Planted freshwater 29 G tank
6 rainbow fish
6 swordtail fish
5 fancy tail guppies
3 otto

Mike32 said:
My tank cycled a couple months ago but since then my ammonia levels stay constant at 0.25 ppm. I change 20-30% of the water once per week. Should my ammonia be at 0 ppm? Any ideas why it is not?

Planted freshwater 29 G tank
6 rainbow fish
6 swordtail fish
5 fancy tail guppies
3 otto

A cycled tank means 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite with a bit of nitrate which can be removed by PWC. How often do you change your filters?
Constantly changing filters can cause a mini cycle to initiate.
Not enough BB could also be the cause.
How big is you're tank?
What are your exact pentameters?
Answering these questions will help us solve the problem

A cycled tank means 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite with a bit of nitrate which can be removed by PWC. How often do you change your filters?
Constantly changing filters can cause a mini cycle to initiate.
Not enough BB could also be the cause.
How big is you're tank?
What are your exact pentameters?
Answering these questions will help us solve the problem

My levels weekly are 0.25 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 40 ppm nitrate
I change or clean with aquarium water my mechanical filter once a month. I change my chemical filter once a month. I haven't touched my biological filter yet but according to the instruction I need to change half the nodes at 6 months, I believe. Oh and I changed the filter pad ( mechanical) above the biological tray (drip). I am changeling the filters as per the instruction on their perspective boxes.
What is "BB"
29 gallon
What are "pentamters"?

Mike32 said:
I change or clean with aquarium water my mechanical filter once a month. I change my chemical filter once a month. I haven't touched my biological filter yet but according to the instruction I need to change half the nodes at 6 months, I believe. Oh and I changed the filter pad ( mechanical) above the biological tray (drip). I am changeling the filters as per the instruction on their perspective boxes.
What is "BB"
29 gallon
What are "pentamters"?

Have u tested your tap water? What are you testing with? Stop throwing any filters away, your loosing alot of bacteria this way. Only throw them away if they're falling apart.

Mike32 said:
What is "BB"
29 gallon
What are "pentamters"?

Changing filters isn't good, change it only when it's literally falling apart. That way you're not losing bacteria and it wont cause your tank to start another mini cycle. All you have to do is change water, preferably once a week about 20-30%
Tap water that you're using can cause high ammonia levels. Having a lot of fish may also cause this, rule of thumb is 1 gallon for every inch of fish.
BB means beneficial bacteria
Parameters is your balances such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH (acidic levels), and chorine/ chloramine.
Have you tried vacuuming the gravel?

I actually have a similar situation and I tested my tap water to find I have the same ammonia reading on that as well. My "cycled" tank has been running for 3 months and my ammonia level has never hit 0. Using my API test kit, I tested both the tap water and tank water for ammonia and got the same exact reading.

My conditions continue to remain stable and everyone in my tank seems happy.

My parameters:
PH 8.2
Amm 0<x<0.25
NO2 0.0
NO3 10-20 ppm

Changing filters isn't good, change it only when it's literally falling apart. That way you're not losing bacteria and it wont cause your tank to start another mini cycle. All you have to do is change water, preferably once a week about 20-30%
Tap water that you're using can cause high ammonia levels. Having a lot of fish may also cause this, rule of thumb is 1 gallon for every inch of fish.
BB means beneficial bacteria
Parameters is your balances such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH (acidic levels), and chorine/ chloramine.
Have you tried vacuuming the gravel?

When you talk about filters I assume you mean the mechanical, foam pad.
I might have too many fish or over feed.
I vacuum the gravel when I do water changes weekly.

Have u tested your tap water? What are you testing with? Stop throwing any filters away, your loosing alot of bacteria this way. Only throw them away if they're falling apart.

My tap water seem to test at 0.25 ppm. I use API drops.

Mike32 said:
I don't. Is it necessary?

It helps remove whatever ammonia you have in your tap water. It's very helpful and encourages the natural slime that fish need to protect themselves from bacterial infection

Back
Top Bottom