Ammonia questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I just tested and dosed my tank. I am waiting for the dose to mix up a little and Ill test again. My ammonia was 0, and I added exactly 1 teaspoon (1ml). I measured the spoon I normally use, and it came out to exactly one teaspoon :) So I will let you know what it is with just 1 tsp. added.

Sean

Update, and possible correction. I tested after adding 1 teaspoon (measured) of ammonia. I was reading what looked like between 2 and 3 ppm. So I added another 1/2 teaspoon (measured) and will check again. However, when I was looking, my measuring spoons say the ml of each. I had googled it before and I read 1ml per teaspoon, however mine say 5ml on the 1 teaspoon, and 2.5ml on the 1/2 teaspoon.

So to clarify, I started with 0ppm of ammonia in my 46 gallon bow front. Added 5ml of ACE ammonia (10%) and read 2-3ppm. Added another 2.5ml (total of 7.5ml) and am waiting to test again in about 10min. I will follow up with the next results.

Sean

OK final results, with pictures!

i-4qLDJPB-L.jpg

i-h6LPf7s-L.jpg

On the left its the start, middle is 1 teaspoon (measured), right is 1-1/2 teaspoon (measured).

Sean

Ok so once the ammonia is up do I keep adding it to the tank on a daily base if the tank is still at a 2 ppm still

Well, I am no expert by any means but this is how I did mine so far (still cycling).

Started by testing everything to see where I started. Tested the tap water to see what I was working with. I then added ammonia to get it to 4ppm, I think it took about 1 teaspoon just like it is now. I know I added a little, then waited about 30 min, and then tested. Repeated until it read 4ppm.

Then I tested every other day, and when it was down to 1ppm I dosed it back up to 4ppm. Then I kept testing every other day until I had to dose it again. At some point I was noticing things were going quicker so I started testing every day. When I would turn 4ppm of ammonia down to 0 in 24 hours I started testing for Nitrites and Nitrates. Right now I test ammonia each day (and have to dose it each day) and I test Nitrites, and Nitrates every other day.

That's where I am at now. My Nitrites are off the scale, and my Nitrates are close to 40ppm. From what I understand, when both the Nitrites and Nitrates are off the scale then you do a massive water change (50-60%) and keep on testing. Eventually you will turn 4ppm of ammonia to 0ppm of ammonia, and 0ppm Nitrites, in 24 hours.

Hope that helps you some!

Sean

Think I got it now thanks everyone for the help

Back
Top Bottom