Ammonia source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Secios

Aquarium Advice Regular
As i'm going to setup my 30 gallon and want some tetras and cory cats in it. I really want to do a fishless cycle but where i live( belgium)i cant get an ammonia source. Are there any other ways ?

Thnx in advance

Did you check you local hardware store? if not you can cycle using fish food or a cooked shrimp.

As i'm going to setup my 30 gallon and want some tetras and cory cats in it. I really want to do a fishless cycle but where i live( belgium)i cant get an ammonia source. Are there any other ways ?

Thnx in advance
i found mine at Fischers hardware and I heard that Ace hardware had it. try looking at a hardware store in the cleaning section. make sure it does not have any additives (like surficant).
if you can't find any I heard you can use a piece of shrimp

Secios said:

Thnx in advance

Online stores like amazon have many types and they can be shipped almost anywhere I believe.

I have some called "KleenOff" by Jeyes, I have read a lot of articles and posts of people using it so maybe look into that?

Oke i'll check it at the the hardware store :) i hope i can find it because i want the best for the fish :)

Scouser said:
Online stores like amazon have many types and they can be shipped almost anywhere I believe.

I have some called "KleenOff" by Jeyes, I have read a lot of articles and posts of people using it so maybe look into that?

Good idea about the online store ! I ' ll check it right now :)

Yea i'll try to find it. What is the correct way of doing fish in cycling ? So i have something to read tonight :) thnx

jetajockey said:
Fish-in cycling is fine for fish also if it is done correctly. But either way, finding ammonia shouldn't be too hard since it's a common household cleaner.

Funny enough it has become hard to find in certain places.

I know that some places stopped stocking ammonia as it can be used to develop explosives by being mixed with certain stuff.

Most hardware chains stock surfactant based ones near me, online stores saved me lol.

Thnx for the link man ! I hope i can find it tough :)

Thnx for everything !

You may never find it. In Australia it's next to impossible to find. Only if you know the right people (ones working at commercial cleaning companies or labs). If you have you heart set on fishless I'd use a raw prawn in some pantyhose. Fish food can make a huge mess and encourage algae growth. As jeta said you can do a fish in cycle safely.

I have great luck. The lfs sells seeded filter material :) that means he knows what he is doing :D

Back
Top Bottom