Ammonia Spike Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been cycling a 36 gal. tank for about 12 days with fish. Since then, I have learned I am overstocked and have wrong fish for cycling (4 dwarf gouramis, 5 glofish tetras and 1 peppered cory). Anyhow, I am doing almost daily water changes to accommodate the population. Most of my ammonia readings each day have slowly risen close to 1.0. With each daily reading, I am doing about a 20-25% water change. I am treating each water change with Prime and keeping temps as level as possible. Trying not to overfeed also. However, this morning my ammonia reading soared to a shocking 4.0! Terrified for the fish, I immediately did a 50% water change and treated with Prime. Checked about 7 hours later and levels are still at 2.0. Did another 15% water change and now levels are still about same? What else should I do? I added a little extra Prime since this seemed to be sort of an emergency. Needless to say the fish will be fasting tonight, but not sure if I should do yet another sizable water change again this evening? Would welcome feedback.

The likeliness is that something died in your aquarium (such as a fish, or bug that fell in) and as you changed the water out, the creature kept decomposing and releasing more ammonia into your aquarium.
Otherwise, there could have been a large stockpile of decomposing food collecting under one of your ornaments that you disturbed and mixed with the water.

I would suggest counting your fish, searching for dead bodies, and reducing the amount of feed you give your fish. Or you could treat this as a great opportunity to feed the bacteria, and continue your mega-changes.

Good Luck

Well all the residents are alive and accounted for. I am guessing the latter you mentioned that perhaps I unearthed a stockpile of old food and waste while cleaning. It's a little lower today, but I will keep up with water changes and watch feedings. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom