ammonia spike ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The amount of tiny carbon in those filter pads aren't going to have any great impact IMO. The reason carbon isn't used in planted tanks is because it can remove some minerals we dose in our ferts. I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

As for the wood, if it isn't leeching tannins then again I wouldn't remove it. Now if you have a big ole piece in a small tank then maybe I'd think about removing it.

Well it just shows you are going to need alot more CC to get your Ph up. I'd go ahead and double what's in there now and just keep repeating the process until you get to the reading you want.

Thanks mate,i appreciate you replying :) its a small piece of wood,and i don't think it leeches much in the way of tannins now,maybe a tiny amount if that.
Yeah was thinking about adding more,i added a little more so im just goin add a little at a time but cheers for telling me about the CC and PH :)

Thanks mate,i appreciate you replying :) its a small piece of wood,and i don't think it leeches much in the way of tannins now,maybe a tiny amount if that.
Yeah was thinking about adding more,i added a little more so im just goin add a little at a time but cheers for telling me about the CC and PH :)

Hi rivercats could i ask one more question,sorry for being a nuisance but when you add the coral will it up the ph immediately,a few days or so,i added a 2 nd bit more and it wnt up to 6.4 again like when i added 1st lot and today its back to 6 :-/ so ive added some more CC a bit more tgis time !!! Thanks in.advance for help again x

Hi rivercats could i ask one more question,sorry for being a nuisance but when you add the coral will it up the ph immediately,a few days or so,i added a 2 nd bit more and it wnt up to 6.4 again like when i added 1st lot and today its back to 6 :-/ so ive added some more CC a bit more tgis time !!! Thanks in.advance for help again x

Sounds like there is only enough to give the water a temporary buffer jump then it peters out. What your going to have to do is add 2-3 times what you have in the sock now and see what happens. Looks like your going to need alot to not only raise it but give it enough buffering capacity to keep the ph up and stable. So pull it out, double or triple the amount you have in there now and give it a go. Let me know what this does. It will eventually work once we find the right amount your tank needs.

Sounds like there is only enough to give the water a temporary buffer jump then it peters out. What your going to have to do is add 2-3 times what you have in the sock now and see what happens. Looks like your going to need alot to not only raise it but give it enough buffering capacity to keep the ph up and stable. So pull it out, double or triple the amount you have in there now and give it a go. Let me know what this does. It will eventually work once we find the right amount your tank needs.

Brilliant thanks hun,i did that last night,took sock out and doubled it see what happens ill test this afternoon and see how its done :)

Brilliant thanks hun,i did that last night,took sock out and doubled it see what happens ill test this afternoon and see how its done :)

Well i think i practically tripled it and it went to 7.6 !!!! Ooops so tool some out and it went to 6.4,so i added a bit back in like you said of i can just get it to 6.6 6.8 which will.be better for BB 6.6 or 6.8 cos i rem you saying to try and get it to one of these

Yeah it takes a bit to get the right amount you need but you'll get it figured out! And if you can get it to 6.6-6.8 you'd be in good shape. Also have a Merry Christmas in case I don't talk to you before then!

Yeah it takes a bit to get the right amount you need but you'll get it figured out! And if you can get it to 6.6-6.8 you'd be in good shape. Also have a Merry Christmas in case I don't talk to you before then!

Hi,Rivercats did a PH test today and ive got it what looks like in between 6.6 and 6.8 :) and the 0.25 ammonia is coming down to more the great yellow colour.
Can't thank you enough for the PH advice.
Should soon be able to get my Crowntail Betta,ill be keeping an eye on it all for a couple a weeks though,make sure all will be spot on before i get him.
Thanks again :)

Congradulations! Told you you'd find the right amount and now that your ph is up your BB sounds like it's kicking in and your ammonia issue will be resolved too.

Hi guys
TFL can I ask how often, if at all you have changed the carbon pads in the filter?

I have been reading your posts and can't help wondering if adding the crushed coral is just masking the pH problem... something was causing the pH to drop and that shouldn't be happening in a tank with one cory. Also, remember that free ammonia is less toxic to fish at a lower pH and pH 6 isn't drastically low.

Carbon will, when fully charged, leach what it has collected back into the water and I fear it could be something there that is causing the pH drop. It may be worth removing the carbon all together and seeing if that makes a difference??

Also, if you can increase aeration (and therefore, oxygenation) you will help remove carbon dioxide (released by your bb and fish), which is acidic and lowers pH. The pH would have to drop below 5 before you saw a significant problem with poor efficiency from the bacteria... assuming good oxygenation that is.

There is no proof I have ever seen that proves carbon leaches toxins back in the water, this is a very controversial subject.

When ph drops to below 6 you will have beneficial bacteria slow down and even complete stalling. At a ph of 5 there will be no biological activity. Even one of this sites cycling articles touches on ph extremes and effects on BB. Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

If I remember right it has to be like a 8 point swing in ph.

Did a ph test today u were right its goin bk up again,thx for telling me it will do that afta a water change lol ;-) cheers for everything,ill give it a couple of weeks make sure ammo stays at 0 as its nearly bk to 0 before i get my Crowntail Betta :)

Just glad it's all going good. And remember you will eventually have to use new CC but it shouldn't be for some time. You ph will let you know when it's time.

Just glad it's all going good. And remember you will eventually have to use new CC but it shouldn't be for some time. You ph will let you know when it's time.

Brilliant thanks again,i really appreciate it,ive learned over the years about water chemistry but the ph and CC was new to me.as i said.got a 10 lb bag which will last a while ;-)

Brilliant thanks again,i really appreciate it,ive learned over the years about water chemistry but the ph and CC was new to me.as i said.got a 10 lb bag which will last a while ;-)

All good now in the tank :) cheers again :
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-6.8 :)
Hope it keeps stable for a week.or 2 then hopefully my LFS has some Crowntails in he said they usually do looking firward to getting him :) hope ya ok hun x

Back
Top Bottom