Ammonia Spikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phlex

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 29g Cichlid tank, I have been battling ammonia spikes for about 2 weeks now. The tank is approx. 2 months old. I've been testing the water 3 times per day since the initial spike. I first noticed the spike when one of my tinfoil barbs started getting a white film on his eyes, and his fins were starting to look shredded.

I admit up until this point I had neglected to test daily, or even weekly. One of the reasons I know it spiked in the first place, was due to me feeding my JD a couple dozen neon tetras, minnows and some other goldfish type live food. I admit I got carried away watching him devour the little guys.

Since the initial spike, I've been doing 30 - 50% water changes daily, some days twice. The levels have been slowly going down, and the surviving fish are all doing great. I test the water no sooner then 4 hours after the PWC. At no point has the tank ever tested positive for nitrites or nitrates. However the ammonia tests are a constant up and down. Example, the ammonia was testing around 8ppm when i first noticed a couple of my fish getting sick. I immediately freaked out and started doing 50 - 75% water changes 2x a day, for the first 3 days.. The ammonia fell to 4ppm the first week. Then it feel to .5 ppm for the next 3 days to follow that. It then spiked again to 4ppm within a 6 hour period. The following test the next day had it back down to .25ppm or less. Yesterday mornings test was showing almost 0ppm, and then last nights test showed 4ppm again.

During the last 2 weeks, the fish have been fed a total of 3 times.. Very small amounts.. The fish in the tank now all seem to be healthy and happy, however Im concerned about the fluctuations in the ammonia. I've tested my well water, it tests 0ppm straight from the sink. I've vacuumed the gravel and freed it from any debris that could be vacuumed up.

If anyone has any insight to anything I may need to try, or if this is possibly normal would love some feedback!

Looks like you tank is not cycled, don't know if ever was cycled. I'm assuming that you know about the Nitrogen cycle.

But at this point the water changes is your best approach. Also if you can get gravel or a media from a cycled tank (maybe from a friend) that you can add to your tank to speed up the cycle.

Its possible that its not cycled, however it was started with filter media from an established, fully cycled tank. And it was previously running 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, and 0 - 0.5ppm nitrates.

It sounds like your tank was starting to get up in nitrates but then dropped.

When tanks are getting established it is very common for the levels to jump over a days period, that includes ammonia

You say you have well water so you shouldn't have any chlorine in there but you might have high phosphates and those could be screwing up your cycle. If I were you I would test for phosphates. Question though are you using a water conditioner?

Also. Now that your not feeding them too much I wouldn't vacuum your gravel,your trying to establish bacteria and that might stall your cycle. I would wait till it's cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I only gave it one good gravel cleaning during a 75% water change, that was about 2 weeks ago. Havent touched the gravel since.

The water in the tank tonight is testing lower on the ammonia, in between 0 and .25ppm from the color in the tube. I need to research a more accurate way of testing. I have never liked things being left up to a color.

Anyone have any experience with any digital testers?

I'll pickup a phosphate test kit tomorrow. Would be a good thing to have, hopefully they have one in the saltwater or reef master test kit. Would be ideal!

Phlex said:
I'll pickup a phosphate test kit tomorrow. Would be a good thing to have, hopefully they have one in the saltwater or reef master test kit. Would be ideal!

It's not in the kits I've seen but it's usually sold separately in a small box, look where all the rest of the API stuff is at. Comes with two bottles and gives you a chart for salt and fresh. It runs for around 12 bucks I believe.

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll update the thread tomorrow with my levels..

Still lookin for info on digital meters also!

My current filter is a HOB Aqueon 55/75 400GPH rated for up to 90g tanks. The filter hasn't been touched since it was started a few months back. I've checked the media for clogging/excess trash and so far its nearly clean with only a mild discoloration of the white media. Although I have rinsed it in some of my PWC once, about a week ago.

At this point I know my good bacteria is either A.) all dead.. or B.) Never really was there to begin with.
My Ammonia is sitting between 4ppm and 8ppm today. No waterchange yet today, but as it stands now im positioning myself to do a 80 - 90% water change, and 100% gravel cleaning (fish out), and re-apply some filter media and gravel from one of my other cycled tanks.

I didnt make it to the LFS today, to get the phosphate test kit, but I will try to make it tomorrow. I will edit my post in a few with my pH

Ammonia - 4ppm - 8ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

Oh and to answer an earlier question, my LFS suggested AmQuel Ammonia Remover, a week or so ago. I've used it twice, each after a 50% water change.. (half dose)

P.S. If anyone thinks its a bad idea for me to remove 90% of this water and replace, while also doing 100% gravel cleaning. Please chime in. I'll be starting this task in about 1hr.. I only say this because I am still a learning novice.

You shouldn't vacuum your gravel now. You might be stalled with your ammonia so high. The water change is perfectly fine. Just make sure you use a conditioner for your water.
On a side note my filter media is discolored also.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am concerned that the gravel may be loaded down with dead fish parts, and rotting (everything). I starteld my JD earlier, and when he rushed off a bunch of 'litter' from the gravel went everywhere. But Im also under the impression that as long as I keep my water changes daily/twice daily, that my fish should survive the spikes. They seem to be doing perfectly fine right now.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am concerned that the gravel may be loaded down with dead fish parts, and rotting (everything). I starteld my JD earlier, and when he rushed off a bunch of 'litter' from the gravel went everywhere. But Im also under the impression that as long as I keep my water changes daily/twice daily, that my fish should survive the spikes. They seem to be doing perfectly fine right now.

At most just ruff up your gravel and let the filter take it in. And when your filter gets dirty just rinse it in the water that you have taken from you PWC.

Ammonia is testing between 0ppm and .25ppm, after the 80% PWC, 30% fill, 30% PWC. Stirred the gravel while i was refilling 30%. Vacuumed up floating debris. Wasnt as much as I thought.

pH test is 7.6

nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 0ppm

Fish look happy, and super hungry.. Hoping I dont have to keep disrupting their lives, with these massive PWCs.
I wish I knew of a way to test the media/gravel for the good bacteria!

Great ! Good to hear.

Remember not to overfeed your fish, even when they look hungry, once a day is enough, and also some even suggest any other day.

They'll get use to it all fish do and some start to love it. : ) mine do they love the new current coming in and swim through it. Water sounds good. Now to get the trites and trates going again.

I still haven't quite figured out how much to feed them. the 3 little 1"ish fish i feed them the mini cichlid pellets. They eat everything i throw in.. I feel like I could dump the bottle in there, and they'd eat it all.

But I've been limiting them to 3 little pellets a day each, going by some info i read on the net, stating their stomachs are only about as big as their eyes.
And my 3-4"ish JD, I have been feeding him 2 Shrimp pellets, a day.

Although i think they all would eat all day long if i let them.

Back
Top Bottom