Ammonia starting to climb???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My ammonia levels are suddenly starting to raise. Any thoughts as to why? Nothing has changed over the last few weeks. I think I've been overfeeding, Can that cause an ammonia spike? I'm doing a water change today and will be sure to get the levels down, but need ideas on why it happened. Here are the stats:

I have a 30 gallon tank up and running since last Nov. About 15lbs live rock, 2 small false perc clownfish, 2 peppermint shrimp and about 12 turbo snails.

Water quality has been beautiful (amm0; n'ite 0; n'ate 0; ph 8.2, temp 78 ) and steady since the cycle ended. I do a water change every 3-4 weeks; last one was around the 1st of the month.

Overfeeding can be a problem. How much are you feeding?
A dead snail can do it too. Doesn't take much in a small system to overwhelm the biofilter.

Mark

thanks. All my snails seem present and accounted for....I'm cutting back on their food and hope the water change will help.

I only feed every other day. However, I dont know your livestock, you may have something that has special dietary needs and has to be fed everyday.

I would continue as if there is an ammonia problem, but I would not rule out the possibility of a faulty test. Double check it with another kit.

what filter are you using?1lb per gal of live rock min. do you mean nov.2002 2months ago?.

Yes, Nov 2002. I had heard 1 lb of live rock to every 2 gallons, I think on this board, but i could be wrong. I have an filter w/bio wheel. My false percs are still pretty small, so I don't think my bio-load is all that bad.

Newest update is that ammonia seems to have gone back down to near 0 a week after the water change, but I continue to monitor closely.

the correct answer is 2lbs per gal. on a 30gal,60lbs of live rock. you can get by barly on 1lb per gal. my 30 thrived for 12yrs. now it's a 75gal oceanic. walt the bio wheel should be off, it is only going to give you problems with high nitrates. if you can't take it off, then clean it often.

Old tank syndrome. I bet reefrunner and fishfreek will be really interested in this. That is so cool. HEY GUYS! TROUTMAN RAN A TANK WITH A DSB FOR 12 YEARS AND HASNT EVEN HEARD OF OTS! That rules!!!!!!!!!1

Okay, so getting back to me :D

So, I need to add more LR. Am I okay doing that a little bit at a time, provided I cure per one of the many wonderful sticky threads, here?

Also, I've heard people talk about removing the bio wheel before, but I'm not sure I understand why. As far as I can tell, it's performing a similar function as LR & DSB, so shouldn't it be helpful??

your bio wheel is not even close to a lr/dsb. filters trap small organizims which you need for your tank to live. these things get traped in filters and die, causing high nitrates, because they can't do there job. the live rock eats bact and the sand bed also, in return low nitrates. i use a 500gph aquaflow power firter only for circilation, and to add carbon whan needed. i hope i cleared things up a little for you.

your bio wheel is not even close to a lr/dsb. filters trap small organizims which you need for your tank to live. these things get traped in filters and die, causing high nitrates, because they can't do there job. the live rock eats bact and the sand bed also, in return low nitrates. i use a 500gph aquaflow power firter only for circilation, and to add carbon whan needed. i hope i cleared things up a little for you. 8)

Back
Top Bottom