Ammonia stays at 0.25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamzam15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Regardless of water changes, etc it just won't budge. Constantly at 0.25.

All fish are accounted for. What could this be?

You checked the ammonia levels of the water your using for the changes?

No api liquid test. I checked the water I use to change and omg - there is about 0.15 of ammonia!

I use tap water and put api stress coat in.

What should I do? I just lost my ancistrus 20 mins ago! So you think this could be related? He always hides and this morning I noticed he came down to the gravel at the front. He was alive then because he moved when my cory swam too close. He stayed like that and now he's dead :(

Should I start a new topic for this or is it related?

Adamzam15 said:
No api liquid test. I checked the water I use to change and omg - there is about 0.15 of ammonia!

I use tap water and put api stress coat in.

What should I do? I just lost my ancistrus 20 mins ago! So you think this could be related? He always hides and this morning I noticed he came down to the gravel at the front. He was alive then because he moved when my cory swam too close. He stayed like that and now he's dead :(

Should I start a new topic for this or is it related?

Sorry about the loss. As previously stated, if you're using strips they are inaccurate so your test results may be skewed +\-. If that is truly the ammonia level, while not perfect, shouldn't have caused the death, IMO. How old is your tank? When was your last water change & how big? What were your other water parameters, nitrite & nitrates? How big is your tank? What tank mates does he have? More information will help narrow down the problem.

Sorry to hear about your ancistrus. The Ammonia's most likely coming from Chloramines
your municipality uses to treat your tap. I can't speak for stress coat as I use seachem prime ... but as a conditioner / dechlorinator, I assume it should neutralize ammonia for up to 24 hours allowing time for your bio-filter to consume.

How are the other fish doing? 0.15ppm ammonia shouldn't really be an issue as long as your bio-filter's healthy. Keep us updated on how the other fish are doing.

It was api liquid test

48l tank about 4-5 weeks

Last wc was a week ago and I did 20% (did one again after I noticed he died)

Nitrites was approx 0.15 (between 0 and .25)

Haven't done nitrates but will do it shortly.

There are 3 platys, 4 corys, 9 neons.

This is my first tank so I'm pretty miserable about his loss

Water Chemistry

Regardless of water changes, etc it just won't budge. Constantly at 0.25.

All fish are accounted for. What could this be?

Hello Adam...

If you're currently removing less than half the tank water per week, then this could be the problem. Small water changes won't help maintain a stable water chemistry nearly as well as large ones.

Start removing half the water in the tank every week and float some stem plants in the tank. Anacharis is one of the best, with Pennywort, Water sprite and Water wisteria a close second.

These plants thrive in water with dissolved nitrogen and will definitely help with the ammonia problem.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Adamzam15 said:
It was api liquid test

48l tank about 4-5 weeks

Last wc was a week ago and I did 20% (did one again after I noticed he died)

Nitrites was approx 0.15 (between 0 and .25)

Haven't done nitrates but will do it shortly.

There are 3 platys, 4 corys, 9 neons.

This is my first tank so I'm pretty miserable about his loss

Sounds like your tank is still cycling. My 10g took a full 8 wks & my 46g took about 6 wks. Are you testing the water daily? I found during my fish IN cycles I needed to do water changes about every 3 days. If my ammonia or nitrites were above .25 I did a 50%+ water change. Testing daily is important because you may have a spike & you'll want to know so you can take corrective action. Nitrites are dangerous to fish so you need to keep those low, 0 if possible. Looks like you're going through the nitrite phase which can last a couple of weeks & then they're just gone or at least that's what happened for me in my 10g. If you add too many fish at once that can also effect your beneficial bacteria (BB) & can cause problems. Diligence & patience, once the cycling is done weekly water changes of 50% with a good vacuuming will help keep the fish happy & healthy.

Back
Top Bottom