Ammonia suddenly showing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go ahead & add some more. We are looking for your ph to stay stable at your taps ph- you may have to do a water change to bring it up to your taps level.

Added another tablespoon mid morning. PH now up to 6.6 this afternoon. I'll test again tonight and tomorrow morning to see where it's going.

Try and do some partial water changes as that will reduce the amount of waste.

Dont do more than 10% water changes every 2-3 days.

Continue this until Ammonia shows under 0.10

Checked mine again yesterday afternoon. PH has now climbed all the way up to 8. My tap is 6.5 so not sure if this is going to be a problem when I do a water change. Is it going to cause my PH to crash back down to tap water reading?

Ok- its a bit of trial & error here to figure out the correct amount. We dont want to raise your ph but keep it stable at your taps ph. I would reduce the amount of cr coral in filter & do a small water change (20-25%) each day over the next few days until your ph sits steady around your taps ph (6.5-7 range).

Ok- its a bit of trial & error here to figure out the correct amount. We dont want to raise your ph but keep it stable at your taps ph. I would reduce the amount of cr coral in filter & do a small water change (20-25%) each day over the next few days until your ph sits steady around your taps ph (6.5-7 range).

OK, thanks. Got a wee bit of a possible problem though. Wife and I are leaving for a weeks vacation tomorrow. I was going to do a water change this afternoon and assumed everything would be OK since just a week away from home. Any suggestions with my situation being what it is?

Hmm... thats a tough one. How do the rest of your numbers look? If all is well, lets try a 25% wc right now & remove just a smidge of coral. Test your ph in few hrs & see if theres any change. Then do another 25%wc & test again later. Where ever your ph is at this evening, just leave things be & you can deal with it when you return. Enjoy your vacation!!

Hmm... thats a tough one. How do the rest of your numbers look? If all is well, lets try a 25% wc right now & remove just a smidge of coral. Test your ph in few hrs & see if theres any change. Then do another 25%wc & test again later. Where ever your ph is at this evening, just leave things be & you can deal with it when you return. Enjoy your vacation!!

Great, thanks. I'm at work right now, so will have to do WC this afternoon. I guess I'll do a 25% as soon as I get home, remove a small bit of CC and see where I am later tonight. Could I safely do 2 25% water changes 3 or 4 hours apart? Rest of my numbers are OK, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 40 Nitrate.

Going to NC outer banks on vacation. My favorite place in the world. :D

THANKS!

Yep, your fine to do them a few hrs apart! I would also double check the ph in the am before you leave just to see where its at. I would rather have it sit stable at a higher number then risk having it crash while your away. Thats great your amm & nitrite are zero again!

Yep, your fine to do them a few hrs apart! I would also double check the ph in the am before you leave just to see where its at. I would rather have it sit stable at a higher number then risk having it crash while your away. Thats great your amm & nitrite are zero again!

Awesome, thanks for your help. Hopefully everything will be OK and I'll return home to swimming fish.

Back
Top Bottom