Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efzichal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 6 gallon Marineland tank that is stocked with two neon tetras and a serpae tetra for the past two weeks. Also a blue snail. The water keeps testing >8ppm ammonia. I have exchanged the full tank of water over this week and used ammonia stress relief. My nitrate and nitrite levels are normal. The fish are acting normal. Also changed the filter. How do I get the ammonia level to normal?

Test your tap water it might have ammonia in it, are you over feeding?

I agree test your tap. What are you using to test, strips or a liquid test kit? How long has your tank been set up? Ammonia of 8 is extremely high & I would think you'd have a dead fish or two by now.

Agreed. It could be the tap, you're test's are inaccurate, false or expired or you're testing too early after changing water.

I tested my tap water and it was around 2ppm but Ive used distilled water which has 0 for 4 gallons. when replacing the water. There has been no reduction in the ammonia level. As for feeding I stopped feeding for a two days and only feed once a day and I don't give that much - practically nothing makes it to the base of the tank. I feel like I am probably underfeeding.
The weirdest part is the fish and snail are all moving around like nothing is wrong. The tank has been like this for about a one week and half - they still still and move around like before. Its very odd.
As for cycling - I cheated with some supplement to add to the water. Saw a spike in the nitrates and nitrites which normalized and then I bought the fish.

What kind of test kit are you using? Are you doing the test correctly? I use API test kit and I know I didn't do the ammonia test correctly the first time, I didn't realize you use the 2 dropper bottles. If you are using strips maybe they are bad.

I am using API! I even got a New kit to make sure it wasn't the bottles. I have been testing correctly for over 3 months on a salt water tank so I'm sure it's not the technique.

I don't know what's wrong then, those few fish shouldn't produce that much ammo in that short time.

Do you have a live plant in there that may be dying off? In such a small tank that could have a huge impact.

I do have two live plants but they don't look like they are dying off. They are still green. It's the strangest thing - I tell you. Everything looks great in the tank. I guess I'll just keep watching

Back
Top Bottom