Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terra03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some advice. I started my 5 gallon tank in April and it went through the whole Nitrogen Cycle but now I have ammonia in my tank. I have/had a betta, blue snail and African dwarf frog. My Betta died from what I assume to be ammonia poisoning a few days ago :( I think it may have been due to overfeeding? Not really sure.

My other levels are great- no Nitrate or Nitrites in the tank. PH level is steady at about 7 I believe. But I cant seem to get rid of the ammonia. I did a 50% water change right away and have been doing a 20-30% water change daily. I bought ammonia lock to use right away to make sure the snail and ADF do not die- but plan on doing the water changes to help recycle the tank.

The tank is filtered and heated to around 78 degree F. I also have an air stone to help with oxygen

A few weeks ago I noticed my tank started to get cloudy and then cleared up- like it cycled again. Could this be the end of a recycle or do I have a whole cycle left to go before I'm in the clear? I'm holding off until the tank is steady to get another betta. Am I doing everything I should be?

Thanks

In my opinion, the tanks has been reset in terms of cycling. The beneficial bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrite also turn nitrite into nitrate. If you have high ammonia with no nitrite or nitrate, I would have to say that it's back to the first stage of its first cycle and essentially started over like a new tank. You need bio-media or an auxiliary filter or something in the tank to hold the beneficial bacteria. Very little of it is stored in the water. Most of it is stored in your filter, and on the substrate. Tetra Safestart worked best for me. It introduces all of the bacteria immediately and cycles the tank super fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also add it when you do water changes or when you replace your filter cartridge or whatever filter media you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you changing out your filter media when you clean your tank? If so, there's no need and that could be why your tank is re-cycling. Filter media doesn't need to be replaced until it pretty much falling apart... And even then, don't throw the whole floss away. Keep some of that beneficial bacteria, my friend!

The cloudiness could have been a bacteria bloom...those are u usually harmless, and the water clears up on its own on a few days.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I replace the filter whenever it is very dirty/full. But thats it. We did have a clogged pump and ended up cleaning a lot of gunk from the pump and the back of the tank. We are starting to think that we cleaned too much of the tank during that and it caused it to recycle.

Yes, that's the reason for your new cycle... Try just swishing the filter media in tank water (in the bucket or whatever you use) when you're doing a water change... And don't put a new filter in by itself... Use part of the old filter with the good gunk (bb) on it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom