Amphibian suggestions for tropical tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaajaa40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am talking with my local pet shop (non-big-box) about shifting my 65 gal tropical tank with live plants from all fish to host some Amphibians. She commented on some of the frog and others she had in stock that could handle deep water. My tank dim are approx 3' wide, 2' deep(or tall), and 2' back to front.

I have some tetras, two angels, and some guppies in the tank right now.

She mentioned that I could fload a piece of wood in the tank to serve as the need land area for the amphibians.

I would love to hear of a few suggestions from Aquarium Advice members. I guess I am looking for a fish friendly non-toxic hardy amphibian that I could put 3 or 4 of in the tank.

I am guessing that salamanders or newts would be best, as there would not be much room from the top of the tank to the floating land for frog to jump.

Would there need to be a heat source on top of the tank for the amphibians?

Any web site suggestions.

Thanks much.....!

I remember my mom used to keep fire newts in one of her aquariums, but they always escaped....make sure you cover the tank TIGHTLY. :) Perhaps with a screen so you can still get airflow.

Also you can get African Dwarf Frogs that are actually aquatic. The would need some driftwood to climb up on since that 2 ft depth might be too much for them to get to the surface for air, but they are neat little guys and never live outside of the water.

I would think the fish friendly part of it might be the tough part of the equation. I would think a fire newt would be really neat though. :)

Happygirl, thanks for the response, I like your African Dwarf Frog suggestion.

And thanks for the warning about the climbing newts. I do have a nice size hole where my bio-wheel filter spills into the tank, I guess I will need to screen that in first.

Back
Top Bottom