An Attempt to Improve Chain Petstore Cichlid Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I work at a large chain store. I'm a cichlid-idiot, and as such, I thought it may be helpful to print off some fact sheets for myself and co-workers to reference when giving advice. I know from this and other forums that we may not...always...be the most informed.....when offering our advice.....:silly:

So, this is my attempt to improve the situation! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have anyone look over and offer any advice they may have to give. Our price tags offer information on how large the fish grows, and the recommended tank size, but I was interested in noting special quirks, and offering information on matching cichlids by diet and geographical location.

Files attached, Thanks to Iamtechno13 for catching a few mistakes on an earlier version buried deep in an earlier thread!

Attachments

• African Cichlids.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 87
  • New World Cichlids.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 38
  • General Cichlids.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 50
I can't look at your files right now, but I also work at a large pet retailer and I commend what your trying to do. Its a tough sometimes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like it a lot!

Some changes I would definitely add:

Tank sizes should be added for each fish. Would help cut out some of the guess work.

African cichlids:
Recommended stocking numbers

African cichlids and in particular Mbuna are really temperamental. Keeping more than one of the same species usually results in failure unless proper numbers are kept. The Yellow Lab for example (you had a typo here) can be kept 1 male to 3+ females. The Demasoni on the other hand needs more than 10 females per male. The tanks also need to be overstocked for normal african cichlids. 55g is the minimum recommended tank size and keeping at least 12 fish in that size of a tank with plenty of rock work is the best way.

Thanks, Soccerfish! I'd love to have your input when you get the chance.

And thanks, Mebbid. Our tags have tank requirements...but it's questionable. It's difficult to find reliable stocking info for all of these, but I'll work on it! And I edited the typo :)

I'd respectfully disagree that Demasoni "need" 10+ females per male. That is one of my brothers favorite African's and he has a tank with about 12 and they've been just fine and breeding. It's a pretty even mix male to female too. I'm not to big into African's as I prefer South American's but from what I've seen with his fish is it seems to be more the stocking or overstocking of the tank that makes more of a difference. As most African Cichlids live in fairly crowded waters, and they're used to it, if someone is getting picked on, it's easy to "get lost in the crowd". Probably preferred to have a large female to male ratio though.

Great information sheets if you don't mind I might use them as well? My only thing was listing Angels. Now I have never kept any SA/CA cichlids but I never recommend putting them with most other SA/CA cichlids, (no ones asked maybe?) But I would note that they can do well with X fish but not Y fish. Maybe I'm wrong but a red devil is more aggressive then an angel. And IMHO I would note that so someone wasn't like oh they are both aggressive they will work out great!.

Also maybe doing your own Fish of the week (or month, bi week, whatever.) You could go into more depth for your coworkers, even list good matchs that you sell, and list others that other lfs sell. Even if tags say they need a 40 gallon and you know a larger tank is nessasery you can give reasons why and they can share when they talk to people. Also adding supplements such as saying this fish would like krill and it will help with colouring of the fish is a great way to help customers introduced new food and feed a variety of foods, include veggies.

Great information sheets if you don't mind I might use them as well? My only thing was listing Angels. Now I have never kept any SA/CA cichlids but I never recommend putting them with most other SA/CA cichlids, (no ones asked maybe?) But I would note that they can do well with X fish but not Y fish. Maybe I'm wrong but a red devil is more aggressive then an angel. And IMHO I would note that so someone wasn't like oh they are both aggressive they will work out great!.

Feel free to use them! I had to post them as PDF's, but if you would like me to email you a different format so you can edit, PM me for an email.

I added the note about the SA/CA cichlids, because I had a couple come in and brag about how they kept them together....only I saw them come in every few weeks to re-stock, returning fish that were all bleached out and stressed - they were just making "fish soup" in their aquariums, mixing them and trying to find something that worked. I FINALLY got permission to issue a "no refund" on their receipt. Not to say this can't happen even when you stick only with one or the other type of cichlids....Just some extra info. If the customer knows what they're doing, I'm fine with them mixing- but I wanted to make it clear to my co-workers and any new employees that this was something to set off "warning bells".

Yeahhhh, good point - The Angels were put in because they are a type of cichlid....but they are not listed as such on the tags we use. Thats how the "Notes" section got started - I'm hoping the note stating that Red Devils will go after long fins will prevent my co-workers from suggesting Angel Fish as Tank Mates to Red Devils. True though....adding an "extremely aggressive" classification would probably be helpful.

In truth, I just got a full-time job elsewhere and put in my two-weeks notice at work today, so I wont be adding much more to this (guess you could call this my "farewell contribution") - but I had wanted to put "suggested tanks mates" for every fish - it just takes LOTS of time and research! Love to have this built upon.

Thanks!

Good luck with the new job, and I think its great you came up with this for others

Back
Top Bottom