Anacharis *not* growing? (pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey hey! It's been a while since I posted here, but I'm having a weird problem... my anacharis looks horrendous. :(

No ferts, wpg is 1.0, substrate is gravel only, @ 10 hours of light a day (with the bulb that came with the hood, now that I think about it... could that be part of it?), no algae problems...

Every single anacharis looks practically transparent, skinny and slow growing. (Pics tonight.) They all looked gorgeous when I put them in about three months ago... :cry:

My lone Java Fern isn't looking too happy, either... ideas/thoughts?

What size tank? Is your lighting fluorescent, incandescent, CF?

Thanks for reminding me what I forgot to add in the post. :g:

30 gal tank and the bulb is fluorescent (the bulb that came with the hood, 'One 36" ( T-8 ) fluorescent'), which is just over a year old... and I haven't tested levels in a few WCs.

I'd swear the anacharis didn't last 3 months though... gah. So, low/not enough light huh?

Now that I check on the age of that bulb, I'm almost ashamed I didn't look into it before. I can't believe it's been that long since I ordered that hood!? :oops: I was headed to the lfs this week anyway to get more loaches (mts have shown up...)

Well, at least I don't claim to know what I'm talking about. :p

It defintely sounds like the bulb. The stock bulb on a 30g tank isn't really strong enough to grow much at all. That does sound like the problem though. Old flourescent bulbs lose their spectrum over time which probably made the bulb even less effective. A new bulb may help some.

I would definitely upgrade the lighting...not just the bulb. Get more watts over the tank. Anacharis will grow in low light, but it doesn't look that great IMO. Medium light makes it look alot better. It will get really leggy the less light you have.

Any chance you could get a 65w fixture over that tank? The Anacharis would be much happier in that light.

Definately well past time to replace the bulb. You should see improvement in your plants even if all you do is get a fresh bulb in there.

Ack, well, I have lately considered going a glass lid and 1.6wpg... but that hood is hardly a year old and that's $75 I won't be using again anytime soon if I ditch the hood for yet another 'new' thing...

@ JRagg:

As it sits right now, the tank has a standard hood with a 30w fluo light over it and I really thought anacharis would be fine, even happy, in 'low' light... I've never had the impression from what I've read that 1.0wpg is 'very low' light - did I misunderstand?

@ JustOneMore20 :

A 65w fixture would mean $$$... and who knows (not me) what else as far as hardware - 2.0+wpg makes me cringe at the algae possibilities... of course, I only claim to know enough to get confused. :p

@ Purrbox:

I'm considering just getting a new bulb, and perhaps a new 'crop' of anacharis - it's fairly inexpensive and looks so much better 'new'. I can only hope it stays 'pretty' with just (?!) 1.0wpg...?

So a 30watt light over a 30gallon tank is not enough light for even anacharis? Can I get some confirmation of this?

I think 1wpg for anacharis is just fine. I just think it is the age of your bulb causing the problems, 1 wpg is enough for a few other types of plants as well.

might be the type of bulb.

if it is florescent is it a t12 or a t8? i have over 2 wpg of t12 and my elodia looked like crap, as soon as i switched to t8s it is growing like a "weed" :)

Ok, so I'm picking up a new T-8, 30w bulb on my way home tomorrow. : )

@ JDogg: T8 fo' sho'.

So that settled, I think I will get a new 'crop' of anacharis as well - here's a little then and now for your enjoyment:

Then:

100437361_9b20a8951f.jpg

Now:

253621052_2cf4281f1e.jpg

: (

Heyas J! I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't come to ask... could they get much worse? :p

I'm looking forward to green plants again. :>

Normal florescents should be changed out once a year, but for best results, every 6-9 months. That's the problem with the anacharis. Should do fine in 1w/g.

from the picture it looks like the top of the anacharis does have new lush growth. are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Not sure; it's been growing like that for months now... it looks good, albeit skinny/thin leaves, and then those leaves spread out and become sparse - in other words, it looks nothing like anacharis does when I bring it home from the store or see it online...

Anacharis_02.jpg

: (

I was going to buy 'new', thinking that the existing leaves would fall off and rot and didn't want that mess, but neither of the 2 lfs I went to yesterday had specimens I'd want in my tank. : |

Anacharis prefers harder, mineral-laden water (and sucks the minerals right out of the water...and quickly, too, as it grows like crazy), and tends to get the way you have described in acid, mineral-poor water.....the water may be an issue here moreso than the lighting.

Back
Top Bottom