ancistrus in a new aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elenaviolet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a freshwater ancistrus and I think it's sick. It has white discoloration on its back and hasn't eaten in days. I want to move it into my new 20 gallon tank, but the water has been flowing thought the filter for 24 hours. When do you think it would be alright to put him into the new aquarium?

I'm not totally understanding the question, when you say water has been flowing through the filter for 24 hours, I'm assuming this tank isn't cycled? If that is the case, you need to cycle it, you can do fish in or fish out cycle. Also before you worry about cycling I would take pics of the fish if you think it's sick and post them here. First thing would be to get it well, because if you need to use meds to heal it some meds will kill your beneficial bacteria.

Here are some posts about cycling if you need them. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Also if your fish is sick people will want to know a few basic things, 1 size of tank, 2 stock list, 3 chemical readings (ammonia/nitrate/nitrite), 4 pic of affected fish to ID the problem. posting all this beforehand will speed the recovery of your fish.

It used to be in a 20 gal, but we had to move it temporarily in my 10 gallon upstairs. But ever since we moved him (yesterday) it hasn't been active or eating. I'm not sure how to get the nitrate reading and such. And yeah, I have tetras in the new 20 gal aquarium right now. The catfish was at the edge of the aquarium, so that's the best shot i could get of him.

Attachments

• image-4021965893.jpg
    image-4021965893.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 54
It used to be in a 20 gal, but we had to move it temporarily in my 10 gallon upstairs. But ever since we moved him (yesterday) it hasn't been active or eating. I'm not sure how to get the nitrate reading and such. And yeah, I have tetras in the new 20 gal aquarium right now. The catfish was at the edge of the aquarium, so that's the best shot i could get of him.

Why did you have to move him? Because he was sick or for some other reason? He may not be eating or very active because of stress from moving or poor water conditions or illness. As for getting ammonia/nitrate/nitrite readings most people here will suggest using Freshwater Master Test Kit - API You can find it online or pretty much at any fish store. Was the 20 gallon cycled before you added fish? Did you add any seeded materials from the old tank? If not you need to read up on the fish in cycling and keep an eye on your water chemistry ammonia is poisonous and can cause damage to your fish. Also the fish looks okay to me I can see a few pale spots but I'm not a disease expert. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can come along and take a look at it and say something.

Sake said:
Why did you have to move him? Because he was sick or for some other reason? He may not be eating or very active because of stress from moving or poor water conditions or illness. As for getting ammonia/nitrate/nitrite readings most people here will suggest using Freshwater Master Test Kit - API You can find it online or pretty much at any fish store. Was the 20 gallon cycled before you added fish? Did you add any seeded materials from the old tank? If not you need to read up on the fish in cycling and keep an eye on your water chemistry ammonia is poisonous and can cause damage to your fish. Also the fish looks okay to me I can see a few pale spots but I'm not a disease expert. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can come along and take a look at it and say something.

Because my room was getting way too humid with the aquarium, so we moved the fish upstairs. He lived in the old aquarium for about 3 months and was fine. And yeah, the 20 gallon was cycled before I added the fish. What do you mean seeded material? And do you think I should leave him in the 10 gallon or move him in the 20 gallon?

Seeded material is just some old stuff from your old tank (or someone elses) that will help build your bacterial colony quicker. Since you've already cycled the tank you won't need it. If it was me, I'd move him to his home as long as he's not sick. Stress can cause fish to lose color, not eat, and not be very active so I think it's safe. Don't be surprised if he doesn't respond right away I think it'll take him a bit to get settled in and once he does he'll be fine.

One more thing how exactly did you cycle the tank? I don't want to insult you or anything, but without a test kit to check for ammonia/nitrate/nitrites how could you know?

Back
Top Bottom