Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Haitian pink tip will look fine one minute and I can go back in there and he is almost completely shriveled up in just 30 miutes or so. is that normal. Had it about 3 wks. I also have two curly q anemone that are fine. How often do they need to eat? Been feeding them mysis and silverside bits. Would they like marine snow?

If you just put it in there they are more sensative to any disturbance in the environment. I would keep an eye on it and let it settle in before you get too worried.

Most anemone would like to eat somewhere between 7-10 days. People feed more often if they are looking for a little more growth. They can also go less but that seems to be a good schedule for optimal health. They can be overfed though so be careful about that. I probably wouldn't feed more then twice a week depending on the anemone.

What type of lighting do you have? Over feeding with inadequate lighting can actually kill them. They get most of their energy from the light, so without the energy they cannot process the food, and keel over.

Ditto what the guys said. Haitian and Condy anemones like to go on walk-about so be prepared when it is happy to see it walking all over the tank. I've kept sever different types of anemones and feeding them was not something I did on a regular basis. They get most of the energy they need from proper lighting. Providing mysis or bits of shrimp once every couple weeks is fine. They usually burn more energy digesting than they get from the food we give them.

anemone & coral

My curly q has been in the very same spot for a month and has not
budged, guess he is satified hiding behind the rocks, but he gets
a little light. The pink tip moves, but not but a few inches at a
time, he's getting kinda close to my toadstool coral, should I move
the toad stool, he's coming out of his molting period now and I
can see his tentacles starting to pop out. Just bought him Friday.
I leave the T5 light on timer from 1-9:30 when the stupid thing
will work:( My new chili coral seems to be shrinking and the angel
has been nipping at it. How can you tell when a coral is dead?
He doesn't bother the colt or toad that much though.:eyes:

For soft corals like the chili it will let go of the rock and start falling apart when it is dead. Hope that isnt' the case because they make a mess when they go. PWCs and maintaining the tank for now is the best course of action to help bring the coral around.

That's good cause I did a 25% water change while ago and ph is at
8.3, salinity at 1.024-5 range, nitrates 20 –, having a time getting that
down, but fish aren't suffering or anemones, guess they've acclimated
to that. Temp is 78. Water is clear as can be. Running Remora Skimmer
and it skims very well. I am adding that AzNO3 daily 5ml to try to keep
Nitrates down. Should have studied more about Angel and coral
compatibility :( Live and learn, been at it only a year next month,
and I'm hooked.

Your numbers are inline with what they should be. Not familiar with AzNO3 but I didn't and don't add stuff like that to my system. There are natural ways of reducing issues but that is a personal preference. Nitrates at 20 or less is not a bad thing. Mine hovered in that range and my tank was growing coral like mad. Don't stress if you don't have to. Keep up with your PWCs and don't over feed your fish, the nitrates will either drop or they wont, just do what you can to keep them from going up.

Back
Top Bottom