Angel fish Babies!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys I need help, there are only a few eggs left and they actually made it three days without the parents eating them!! But the thing is...I don't know how to take care of these things. I've researched but I don't have a separate tank for them. I have a 46 gallon that houses two angelfish one Gouramis, one red tail shark, and six tetras. I'm afraid once the babies hatch my other fish will gobble them up. Got any DIY suggestions to keep them away from danger? I wanted to make a barrier in the tank with the parents...but don't know how. I might have money for a tiny tiny tank, but don't have enough for an extra heater and filter.. In the pic shown is the remaining eggs. Not many..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424373009.383968.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should I separate the parents from the fry? It's only there second batch of eggs ever

They sell nursery containers that are super cheap that you hang from the edge of your tank. No need to buy another one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Just got one and it was way cheap. Sad thing is, I came home a second ago to my shark eating them..I was able to save only four :( but hey at least I have four! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424381066.785044.jpg

Four is better than nothing! And you have the nursery ready for the next batch! Congratulations.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Just got one and it was way cheap. Sad thing is, I came home a second ago to my shark eating them..I was able to save only four :( but hey at least I have four! View attachment 264782

That container might be good for the few fry you have left, provided the holes are small enough to keep the fry contained, but an average Angel spawn, for new pairs, is still about 100-200 eggs ( more mature pairs can do 500+ eggs) and if hatched, that many fry so that net breeder will not do. But for now, use what you have.
Sadly, breeding Angels in a community tank scenario usually ends up badly. The best way is to keep the breeders by themselves whether you hatch out the eggs or they do and you try to let the parents raise the fry. And to keep them in a bare tank so that the fry can find the food you will be feeding them. Newly hatched brine shrimp has been shown in multiple studies to be the best food to feed Angelfish fry for maximum growth. Second is decapsulated shrimp eggs ( if they will eat them) and lastly was crushed flake foods. Other live foods, such as microworms, vinegar eels, etc., can also be used as a starter food but there is something about the brine shrimp that still makes the top of the list.
There is an older thread in the breeding forum titled " Wigglers at last!!!" which has just about all the information you need to breed and raise Angels by both professional and hobbyist Angel breeders. You might want to take a look through it before you decide whether to invest in breeding them again as you are currently doing it. (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom