Angel Fish Diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
I have a pretty big Angel fish that I've had since she was about the size of a nickel. I was wondering what they eat in the wild. Are they more carnivorous or herbivores or both?? Mine seems to be carnivorous because she loves eating guppy fry, shrimp, blood worms, and krill. But I also feed her tropical flakes and hikari Cichlid pellets. Is that a good diet or should I buy some veggie flakes?

Angelfish are omnivores, meaning they eat animal and plant matter. Giving them a varied diet of both plant and proteins is best. You feed a pretty varied diet but I can tell you mine love peas and they nibble on some of the plants in the tank. I'd add some type of veggie matter, possibly just algae flakes/crisps just to round it's diet out.

Rivercats said:
Angelfish are omnivores, meaning they eat animal and plant matter. Giving them a varied diet of both plant and proteins is best. You feed a pretty varied diet but I can tell you mine love peas and they nibble on some of the plants in the tank. I'd add some type of veggie matter, possibly just algae flakes/crisps just to round it's diet out.

I feed peas to my other fish but she won't touch them.

You can try other options for veggies. Mushy carrots and broccoli(I usually just pick off a few of the little "balls" and offer slowly) are other favorites here.

If she wont touch fresh veggies than you can certainly offer some veggie flakes or algae wafers. I'm of the mind set that fresh is best. Just like with bloodworms/ect. You will get the best nutrition straight from the product but offer what she will take because they are omnivores as mentioned

Back
Top Bottom