Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A Little Fishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Koi angel fish purchased from a local petstore, there was two there, angel fish don't like to be alone, I was planning on getting three, only had two took them both home, shortly after realizing that they seem really inactive and weak, looked really closely, and they're both missing a fin, last morning, so one day within being in the tank, one had died. Only one, now, seems super lonely, only hangs downlow, in corners just staring at it... Is he lonely? Is he hurt? What's going on? It's not my fault that the first one died was it?

Koi angel fish purchased from a local petstore, there was two there, angel fish don't like to be alone, I was planning on getting three, only had two took them both home, shortly after realizing that they seem really inactive and weak, looked really closely, and they're both missing a fin, last morning, so one day within being in the tank, one had died. Only one, now, seems super lonely, only hangs downlow, in corners just staring at it... Is he lonely? Is he hurt? What's going on? It's not my fault that the first one died was it?
In order to answer that you need to tell whether you really looked closely at the fish in the store. Did the fish have fins then? Are there other fish in your tank that may have injured these new comers? How did you acclimate them to your tank? ( and are they doing this in a QT or your main tank? )
We can go from there. (y)

Yes looked really closely, seemed to be moving fast away from the net that's all I could see, however I don't believe they had fins at the store... In my tank I have a Red lobster. He's been very peaceful. Been watching closely 4 painted tetras and 4 guppies 3:1, main tank.

Missing parts seem to be a common occurrence in Koi Angels however, I would not have purchased a fish that was deformed ( missing fins in a genetic deformity) as you don't know what else is wrong with the fish from the start. As peaceful as you say that red lobster is, I have my doubts when it comes to slow moving fish such as Angels. Also, not sure I would put Angels in a tank with the painted tetras ( I'm assuming you mean the Glo Tetras and not Painted Glassfish) unless they were in there first. Fish combinations can change based on who goes in first and who goes in last.
Bottom line since you don't really have a good knowledge that the fish were healthy to start with plus you have some questionable tank mates in there, it's hard to say who is "at fault" for this outcome. I would however, recommend strongly that all new fish go through a quarantine period before directly adding to your main tank. IF they are in fact sick, you will be spreading those diseases to your other fish as well which is a major problem especially when dealing with stores that use centralized systems or no quarantining practices themselves. QT is a "better safe than sorry" approach to fish keeping.

Sorry I could be more definitive for you. :(

Back
Top Bottom