Angel gulping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 2 or 3 year old angel who was transferred to a newly set up 10 gallon with some baby Angels. He was very stressed for a while and not eating but he is finally eating again. The only problem now is that he is always gulping air at the surface. All the other fish seem to be fine. Any thoughts?

I know 10 gallons is really too small for a full grown angel but he came from a ten gallon and lived in it for years just fine. Now he just seems slower and just doesn't look healthy

Have you tested your water parameters? What do they read? Water change schedule? Adding a large fish to a newly setup tank that already has fish likely has caused spikes in toxin levels. A second guess is stress due to a small tank and new fish (which may possibly be disease carriers as well). Some more info will help!

Well being a beginner I still have not purchased the API master testing kit but I will soon and get back to you. Thanks for the interest in helping.

I do a 30% water change weekly

From the looks of it that's not enough for such an oversrocked tank. You should be doing at least two if not more 50% water changes a week. My guess is that since you just added a large fish to such a small tank you have ammonia and nitrites spikes. Buying a test kit will help us find the issue.

An angel needs a 29 at lest.

Ok. And also I am seeing these tiny tiny stringy white/clear things floating everywhere and one of the angels spends the whole day eating them. Could that be hydras? Or something else?

Back
Top Bottom