Angel (mis)behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
Don't know if this should be here or the cichid discussion...

How do I know when my angel's behavior passes into the point of aggression? I have two...put them in the tank at the same time. The koi was always slightly larger but not drastically so (this was maybe 2-3 months ago). The koi has always been more aggressive at feeding and now is much bigger than the little black guy (randomly assigned sex :) ) (The smaller's about quarter sized, the other ~1.5 inches). Sometimes they're happily hanging out in the same general area, but other times I'll see the koi lunge at the black and chase him off. Obviously this has not led to any damage of the black (I'd know that's passed the line! :) ) But when do I need to worry that this isn't working and think about removing one? Thanks...

IMO, If one fish chases another for more than 2 minutes steady, then it is definate agression. My rainbows chase themselves around, but i never see any Directed bullying. Its usually a "Back off, get your own turf!" type thing

How big is your tank? Is it planted?

Angels are VERY easy to damage. I think that if it was some serious aggression, that the little guy would be hurt. I'd say as soon as there is damage to the black one to isolate them.

Now, I should practice what i preach, but i find 2 to be a bad number. (i have 2 angels of similar size) But the tank is heavily planted. It gives them their own area to all theirs. my slightly bigger angel takes the right side, the smaller takes the left side of the tank. The GBR's go wherever they please. lol.

I agree with Sudz. What is happening in the most likely scenario is the aggressive one is either maturing faster than the black one and is interested in finding out if they are compatible mates. The nudging is a signal for the mating ritual to begin. If nothing comes out of it over a period of time, which means if it's determined that they are the same sex, one will eventually assume the role of a male.

Thanks guys. It's definitely not a sustained aggression at this point. It's seconds--just a "get away". Although sometimes the black one will come back and then it repeats...

The tank's a 40 high. Moderately, on it's way to heavily planted (compared to the "heavily planted" in the planted forum). There's space for them to take ends but they're actually more likely to stay on the same side...

Too late now to not have two...although in my defence, I went with that number on the advice of folks from the angelfish.net forum... :)

Too late now to not have two...although in my defence, I went with that number on the advice of folks from the angelfish.net forum..

That's interesting advice. I've always suggested three or more to increase the odds of getting a pair. You have the perfect sized tank for it. Was the advice given due to existing inhabitants?

Given the circumstances, you should not have any issues once they figure out whom is whom.

Nope...there weren't existing inhabitants at that point...the tank was stolen from my mother for the sole purpose of I wanted angels. :)

That said...I really didn't/don't care if they breed...I'm trying to minimize the MTS and really don't think my life would lend itself to trying to deal with fry as well. My goal was the best odds of not having to figure out what to do with spare angels...and it was recommended that I get two, not one...don't remember the logic at the moment...

Glad to hear they should settle out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom