Angelfish aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I purchased two smaller sized angelfish a while back. They were doing fine for a few months, but now one is constantly chasing the other. Any reasons you might no for this? The one that is being chased is always hiding behind the filter now. They are in a 40 gallon with small groups of lemon/cardinal tetras.

Thanks,

K.B.

Welcome to angel fish keeping.
I know I'm going to sound negative but this has been my experience with angels, they can be nasty. I have successfully kept 3 angels in a tank without problems for years, that was one time, any other time I have had to remove or change them around to prevent that kind of aggression. I know a big tank always helps but there is really no place to hide in any tank from the aggressor. I have always loved keeping angels, at the moment I have a pair 1 and a half year old angels in a 40 gallon doing very well... so far. It would help if we could identify their sexes. I hear once they pair up, any other angels could be a threat to them and get harassed to death.

Do you have another tank and maybe even try mixing other angel or angels in the tank?

Sorry I dont have a solid answer for you, I think like many cichlids, it's all about trial and error.

Keep us posted please.

just started keeping Angels myself and am def NOT speaking from experience. I have been researching them for a few weeks though. It seems like you may have luck if you add one or more Angels to your tank. If there are only two and ones an agressor its going to end badly...if there are more than two then the aggression can get spread out more and becomes less likely for one to be picked on. I've read start with six for best results and I've read two pairs....Hope you figure it out. I'll be following along here as obviously i'm interested in how works out for you and how you handle it

just started keeping Angels myself and am def NOT speaking from experience. I have been researching them for a few weeks though. It seems like you may have luck if you add one or more Angels to your tank. If there are only two and ones an agressor its going to end badly...if there are more than two then the aggression can get spread out more and becomes less likely for one to be picked on. I've read start with six for best results and I've read two pairs....Hope you figure it out. I'll be following along here as obviously i'm interested in how works out for you and how you handle it

I've had 3 at the most in a tank in some cases and for what ever reason one angel found the one that he needed to pick on, the aggression never spread with the other one, it was the one particular angel he had to destroy and destroy he did!

As you mentioned, keeping a few... I actually would like to try something like that but it would take a big tank to keep say anywhere from 5 to 6 angels and even then i wonder how it would work out.

Can you rehome one of them?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Im doing mine in a 55 gallon. Currently have four in there. Think thats big enough to up the school to six?

I don't know. Have you ever seen how big Angels get in a good environment? Do lots of water changes, feed them well and they can grow as big as your hand.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Im doing mine in a 55 gallon. Currently have four in there. Think thats big enough to up the school to six?

IME I would say no, in fact because of the territorial nature of Angelfish I would say one adult pair would be best in a 55. They get very large, about the size of your hand at times, and can be mean to each other in groups - especially if two pair up as mates. When small/juvenile sized your 55 will be fine, but as they reach adult size this will not be the case.

Ok, so I purchased two smaller sized angelfish a while back. They were doing fine for a few months, but now one is constantly chasing the other. Any reasons you might no for this? The one that is being chased is always hiding behind the filter now. They are in a 40 gallon with small groups of lemon/cardinal tetras.

Thanks,

K.B.

Angelfish can be very territorial if they pair up as mates and will often bully the other fish to death. In a 40 gallon I would actually consider re-homing the loaner fish (if you want to keep the pair) or the aggressive fish. When they reach max size two angelfish will have no problem being perfect centerpiece fish for your size tank as they get fairly large as earlier mentioned. Do more research on Angelfish behavior online. They are wonderful and fascinating fish!

Thanks,

K.B.

Angelfish need to be kept in odd groups, 1, 3, 5, etc. so try to bring the school up to 3 or 5 and that should help. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 though in a 40 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish need to be kept in odd groups, 1, 3, 5, etc. so try to bring the school up to 3 or 5 and that should help. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 though in a 40 gallon.

Why odd numbers?

Just did a 50 % water change. The one is still aggressive and I am planning to add a third. Hopefully that will lower aggression.

Why odd numbers?

ts not that they "need" to be kept in odd numbers. It's always been suggested that they be purchased in odd numbers of at least 3 to:
Help increase the chance of getting a pair out of the three
Help disperse aggression more evenly
More easily identify an aggressor and make needed changes such as separate tanks or re-homing

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Maybe I can get some input also. I have 2 angelfish who we're getting along great, I've had 1 for 3-4 months and the other about 1 1/2 months. As I said they got along great, always close to each other, swam together, they never left the other, the other day I noticed the "angel kissing", I thought it was the positive pairing kiss as they were gentle, with no aggression what so ever. I watched the video on the territorial kissing and mating kissing. This was not a territory issue. Last night the older of the 2 was intentionally bullying the other. She'd go hide then come back to her "pal", but he kept it up. I've added more plants and have little hideaways. Any opinions?

So we got a small angelfish, and it seemed to stop the aggression. He is still adapting to his new home, so he hides a lot. But now it seems that the other two out of nowhere are being very sluggish, have clamped fins, and just sit at the bottom and stare at the surface. They are in with 3 cardinals (was going to upgrade but our LFS stock flunked), 5 lemon tetras, and a bristlenose pleco. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom