Angelfish Growout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting to seriously plan for the 40-75g I'm going to set up this summer after my family and I move. Its going to be close to an Amazon Biotope (I hope), and one of the main fish is going to be a few angels. Since there also may be smalish tetras (rummnoses or cardinals), my plan is to get small angels and raising them with the tetras so that there is a smaller chance of the tetras getting eaten. In order to get the process going faster, I'm thinking of setting up a 20H tank with 4-5 angels and tetras to grow them out and see if any are going to be bullied out of the group. It would be bare bottom with just some drift wood and old plastic plants for cover to keep it cheap. Filtration would be something like a AC30 and a small sponge filter.
What do you guys think of this plan, and about how long would the angels be able to be in a tank this small (so how long should I wait if the big one is getting set up somewhere around May)

My lot grew with the neon's and they don't bother them for now, or should I say yet, I have a 50g with 6 koi Angels just to pair up and then take 2 back, 2 have paired so the others will have to go as my tank is not big enough, my tank is 29" high, I would wait until you get set up with your other tank, bare bottom are ok for breeders but not to keep Angels in until May with small filtration, they grow pretty fast.......just a thought

My lot grew with the neon's and they don't bother them for now, or should I say yet, I have a 50g with 6 koi Angels just to pair up and then take 2 back, 2 have paired so the others will have to go as my tank is not big enough, my tank is 29" high, I would wait until you get set up with your other tank, bare bottom are ok for breeders but not to keep Angels in until May with small filtration, they grow pretty fast.......just a thought
Thanks for the advice. So it would probably be best to wait a few months if I'm going to do this at all, or just let them grow up in the bigger tank.

Thanks for the advice. So it would probably be best to wait a few months if I'm going to do this at all, or just let them grow up in the bigger tank.

I would wait if it were me. With excellent husbandry procedures, they'll be huge in no time at all. The last purchase my girl and I made were quarter size. After teaching her some bad to the bone skills, within 8 months they easily hit 5" mouth to tail and 7" tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I have to agree, keeping them in a 20 H will not give you an accurate assessment of their ability to co-habitate in the bigger tank. I would just add your tetras and other smaller fish first before adding the Angels. This way, the other fish can't be mistaken for food when first introduced.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom