Angelfish questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RWaltman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two 6 month old angelfish they are approx. 1" in body size and 2 1/2 to 3" in height...I'm considering adding more angelfish, is this possible? Or would they be attacked by the angelfish already established in the tank?

the orig. 2 are in a 29, they are getting moved shortly to a 55 along with a knifefish and bichir...I'd like to get possibly 2 more angels

I would say yes it is possible. But IMO i would wait tell i have the 55 up and running.

I agree with Etunes. You could certainly add two more and see if you get a pair out of it. But I would wait til the 55 is setup. I would introduce the new fish at night after lights out. That way they might have a more peaceful transition into the new tank for all.

what kind of knife is in there? knife and the bichir will require bigger tanks later on. both grow way to big for a 55 gallon.

as for the angels try to get angels of the same size also.

what kind of knife is in there? knife and the bichir will require bigger tanks later on. both grow way to big for a 55 gallon.

as for the angels try to get angels of the same size also.

Bichirs are fine in a 75g when fully grown. At least i think that would be fine. What do you think is a minimum tank size for a bichir?

personally like to give them space to move. they reach what 20 inch or so. at least to be able to easy turn around.

Bichirs according everything i find they grow a little over a foot. like 16-18 inch. But then i read that they get 20 inch other places. What to believe. I guess your right. I guess i am going to have to upgrade eventually from my 75 gallon to bigger tank if my bichir gets that big. I guess we will see in time with mine. And i plan to get more.

give them the space they need and see what happens. its like people who say bgk only get 12 inch sine they keep them in such small tanks. most large fish never reach their potential because lack of room from its keepers.

I agree with that statement. This bichir i have (6 inch) in a 15 gallon. Ridiculous. I don't have it in a good tank either (20g tall) but is gonna be in 1 with friendly fish. But i am putting it in a 55 or 75, gonna try to go for 75 but it is all in what i can get my parents to let me do, as it is hard to get them to let me to make another tank at all.

but at least thats a step closer then many take. many people dont take the time to research the fish. we all have bought fish we really prob dont have room for.

I was basically asking for the aggressive tendencies of angels and if they get territorial...I started with 3 angels but one passed away due to what I believe to be swim bladder disease...I'd like to have 2 more additions...I'm guessing there is no chance that new additional angelfish will form a "pod" with the other 2 eh? anyways...I know what size tank and how large my fish will get can we please not go there...

They might but i doubt it. Considering the other ones is a mated pair and the size difference, but i could see them maybe hanging out in the future.

You can't know until they have paired up. They will pair up for life. So the more you have together from a young age the more chance you have of getting a pair.

I was basically asking for the aggressive tendencies of angels and if they get territorial...I started with 3 angels but one passed away due to what I believe to be swim bladder disease...I'd like to have 2 more additions...I'm guessing there is no chance that new additional angelfish will form a "pod" with the other 2 eh? anyways...I know what size tank and how large my fish will get can we please not go there...
they do get aggressive when they start to breed. same with being territorial. they will keep the other fish away when they start to breed. you want to get some of the same size. smaller ones will prob get picked on.

Back
Top Bottom