Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhuber

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do I get them to stop fin nipping I had two they did it. I added one and an on having four in my 55 gallon but how do I stop or prevent that? Thank you.

Angels are cichlids and they are considered semi-aggressive. They have to establish a heirarchy or peeking order. When adding a new angel this starts the cycle all over. Your tank needs to be planted heavily if possible so the line of sight from end to end is broken and also so there are places harassed angels can go to escape aggression from others. About the only thing you can try is getting your last angel but don't put it in the tank. You actually want to remove all the angels. Rearrange the tank completely and then readd all the angels at once. This sometimes works. Also remember angels mature and can breed at about 8 month of age. Once mature there can be a new set of issues if two pair off. You'd be lucky to get two pairs and if you set the tank up they could each have a territory. But you could also just get more aggression if two pair up and the other two are just in the tank. You may find you are going to have to rehome one or two in the end. Just be prepared. You can't stop the nipping. All angels have their own personalities and while some can be mellow others can be quite testy.

Today my fish were acting real odd I did a water change few days ago and today I turned the light on the angelfish and blue rams were sitting on the bottom threw some food in they didn't eat but started swimming then ten minutes later they ate

It is normal for fish to slowly come to life after the lights are turned on. Some angels are just p[lain nasty and the only way to alter that is to separate them, or if the male which is usually the problem pairs up remove the rest.

It is normal for fish to slowly come to life after the lights are turned on. Some angels are just p[lain nasty and the only way to alter that is to separate them, or if the male which is usually the problem pairs up remove the rest.

Yeah that's what I thought I turned the light on earlier then usual today and fed them not to much longer. How long do you keep your lights on for?

In a planted tank 8 hours a day is all that is needed plus it helps to keep algae in check.

Back
Top Bottom