Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 1 angelfish and I'm looking to get a second 1 so I can start breeding them.

My question is how can I tell what sex of angelfish I have and how do the breed? Ie. are they live breeders or do they lay eggs.

The only reliable way to sex them that I know of is to look at the breeding tubes when they are visible. You'd probably be better off getting a group of say 6 and waiting to see which form a pair and then rehome the others. The female will have a tube that (for want of a better description) resembles the eraser end of a pencil. The males tube will be smaller and pointed like the tip of a pencil. The female will lay eggs on a suitable site (slate, rock, large leaf etc) and the male will follow behind touching each egg with his tube to fertilise them.

Where are these breeding tubes? Do you have any pictures so I can see the difference?

Can't find any pics right now (am on my phone) if you search Internet you may find some but when you see them you'll see the difference. If you have a group in your tank once a pair become ready to breed all the angels tubes should become visible. They need to be a reasonable size before they become mature enough to breed. Am not certain but I believe it's around 8 months to a year old they start to become mature enough.

Thanks for your help ill look into it, not sure how old mind is.

i think they have to be atleast 8 months or older but i could be wrong. i have a couple breeding pairs but i bought a group of 8 juvinile fish and waited a while before they paired up you cant force fish to breed if you o nly buy 2 angelfish they may never pair up with eachother . how much experiance do you have with breeding fish ?

Back
Top Bottom