Angels in community tank paired up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came home today and was surprised to find that two of the 5 angels in my 75g tank decided to pair up and start laying eggs! It's caught me a little off guard, as they never really hung out together until today. Unfortunately, the breeding site they picked is in an amazon sword that's near the center of the tank, so the other Angels can't get very far away... The male keeps alternating beating on two of the 3 unpaired ones and fertilizing the eggs.

I have a 40g breeder that's pretty under stocked at the moment that I could move the 3 unpaired angels to while the breeding pair do their thing. Ideally I'd move the breeding pair there instead, but with eggs already laid I'm kinda hesitant to disturb them. I would probably swap them after this round of breeding. Would this work, or is there something else I can do to keep my other angels from getting beat up? Maybe put a tank divider in around the plant? My unpaired angels have sorta been huddled in one corner and just sit there taking the abuse from the male and I hate seeing them get picked on like this :( What do you guys recommend?

Do you just have the 5 angels in the 75?

Could you replant the Amazon sword plant on the side?

Not a real expert on Angels, so can't help much...

No, it's a community tank with dwarf chain loaches, a red tail shark, 2 bolivian rams, a krib, and some cardinals. I got all the angels when they were babies with the intent of either moving the others or rehoming them once a pair formed, but they've paired up earlier than I expected.

Replanting the sword would be a pretty massive overhaul to the tank scape and isn't really doable while they're in there laying eggs on it.

Yeah that was just an idea, if yt was a newer sword it could be moved easier...

I would probably move the other angels out, and then look into rehoming the breeding pair(or get them their own tank!)

Yeah, the sword they picked is MASSIVE. It's spawned baby plants for me on many occasions, so it's very well rooted and is a major fixture of the 'scape.

I lucked out... The pair didn't like how the laying was going and ate the few they had laid so far. I took the opportunity to bag them and am acclimating them to the 40g at the moment. If they decide to resume laying in there, awesome, but as I wasn't planning on spawning I'm not going to sweat it if they don't :p

The remaining 3 in the 75g are looking very relieved and are back to swimming around normally now :)

Pictures of the sword???

Lol no offense but plants don't spawn! It sounds funny ?

But I totally get what you mean, the baby just appears at the end!

Curious as to why you acclimate them, the tanks should have the same water conditions?

I have 9 tanks and when I switch fish I dump them directly in, only drip acclimate new fish that come from different water...

The 75g and the 40g are kept at a little different temperatures. I run the 75g at 84F (for the Rams) while the 40g is usually at 78F. That's a bit more of a temperature change than I like to just drop them into ;)

Here's how big the sword is in the 75g... Takes up about a quarter of the tank!
img_3342990_0_d74a594d0ca47e169d8589300dd87bbb.jpg

I just love your tank. Any tips on growing? Im very new and cant seem to grow anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I just love your tank. Any tips on growing? Im very new and cant seem to grow anything

Thank you :)

Usually lack of light or nutrients will be the issue if you can't grow any plants, or you're picking plants that are too demanding for your tank. Java ferns are super easy, as are most crypts. If you want to grow medium-light plants, here's my setup:

The tank has a dual T5 HO fixture plus a plant bulb I put into the default fixture that came in the tank that runs for two 4 hr periods each day. I dose potassium & Excel (liquid carbon) daily, plus an iron supplement every other day, and a comprehensive (Flourish) once a week. I also do 50% water changes every other week.

Hope that helps!

Wow. Yeah. Alot of work lol it shows.

Back
Top Bottom