Angry LFS Employee (Giving away my goldfish) (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well to me your post is confusing as in it sounded like you wanted the store to take your fish no holds barred. So perhaps the lady was confused as well. Furthermore I can see how she might be annoyed realizing you brought a fish with ick into the store and on top of that she's probably not to thrilled you were trying to keep a goldfish with an oscar.

Blazeherd2306 said:
hc8719, If the original poster goes back and gets the fish, where will he/she put it? The oscar tank is out of the question and the goldfish bowl is definately not an option.

But hey, a 240+ gal aquarium will work if the op really wants the fish back. Either that or a pond.

it took my goldfish 10 years to get 10" big, im sure the op can find a home for it within 10 years, considering the feeder tank is a death sentence

Under healthy conditions and low nitrates, goldfish can grow pretty fast. One can grow 3" during the first year of owning it. Higher water temperatures make them grow even quicker and before you know it, you have a 6"-8" goldfish after a few years.

If the op wants to keep the goldfish, then I would suggest he/she invests in a chiller (not absolutely necessary, but for the well-being of the fish, or you could keep your house at 68 degrees) and a 75 gal tank to start, a 210 or larger if he/she wants to keep it permanently. Also, large water changes every week.

Apparently the fish is 11", so it is NOT going in a feeder tank people. Though I'm confused about the goldfish being 11" when the oscar that outgrew it is 2" (maybe you meant 12")?
This entire thread makes no sense to me. An 11" goldfish in a 30 gallon tank with a oscar of unknown size which has outgrown the goldfish, it gets ich and red veins from stress, from what I can tell its a small case of ich and might actually be breeding tubercles in the gills, rather than treat it with salt you decide to bring it to a store, where they tell you it will die, and you want it back because you are afraid an 11" fish will be put in a feeder tank?

sorry depot, lmao, my goldfish was 11" big the op's fish is like 1"

in other words, the op's 1" and is going to be put in the lfs feeder tank to be fed to an oscar. im sorry i didnt spell it out directly for everyone

hc8719 said:
in other words, the op's 1" and is going to be put in the lfs feeder tank to be fed to an oscar. im sorry i didnt spell it out directly for everyone

There is nothing wrong with feeding fish to bigger fish. The only problem is that feeder fish from LFS are low in nutrients and have the possibilty of spreading disease. Believe me, it would be a less painful death than having it suffer in a bowl or a hot, small tank with an oscar.

Sometimes feeder fish are the only way to induce a predatory fish into eating.

...ok

im just saying, the goldfish kinda had a shot at life, and now doesnt. the goldfish who was once a pet, is now going to become a feeder. its that simple.

in other words, someone has a baby rabbit, but cant take care of it, so they take it to the lps, and a snake owner buys the rabbit...

you kinda wish the best for animals you cant keep

please dont debate anything i have just said, it was a statement, so if you dont like the term 'baby rabbit' substitute it wil rat, or hampster, or turtle whatever

Thats ok.

Everyone has their opinions. Mine is that bigger animals eating other animals is natural. It's reality. Even big goldfish will eat small fish.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the fish store employee did absolutely nothing wrong. Now...I've worked in a pet store. You can't just 'dump' a pet at a pet store. Any pet. Not every pet store has room for every pet. Not every store can take every pet. I personally would be annoyed by someone coming in to drop off an unwanted pet who didn't even have the decency to call first.

Second of all. You get her to take it THEN tell her it has ich. So not only have you dumped an unwanted pet WITHOUT calling first, you have dumped an unwanted SICK pet and expected the fish store to take care of it. The fish store A. Didn't sell you the pet (I assume) B. Didn't get the pet sick and B. Didn't agree over the phone to take the pet, but now you have dumped a sick pet on a store so they can go through the time and expense of treating it. By now, the employee is very justly annoyed. Maybe she was rude to you. Maybe she shouldn't have been. But to be totally honest, under the circumstances, I would have been rude to you too.

Why would he bring the fish into the store to ask about treatment?

And I have to agree with Sarah about calling the LFS store first, though if the employee didn't want the fish, she could have easily rejected it.

No, no, no.

Sorry to be unspecific,

Goldfish is about 2.5'', ~2.5, 3 yrs old (slow growth??) and Oscar recently came to about 2.5'' - 3'', ~2 mo. old

From what I understand from reading the original post, I feel that the poster was in the wrong, however, it does appear that the lfs store worker was rude. And it is true, she should not have been. But it did no good for her to chew out the poster and it does no good for me to be so harsh and b*chy, so I apologize. Tough day...as you will see from my next post.

I really shouldve given it more thought, calling first, or at least first informing them of the ich, before she took it. I could've just straight up not told her about the ich, as though I were uninformed about fish. At least I had the knowledge and courtesy to tell her about the ich... Right?

I don't know. I know my unpreparedness and lack of prior knowledge about the orthodoxy of all this may piss some people off, and if so, all apologies.

Continue.

Calling would have helped, but what the employee did was still not right. She didn't have to take the fish. If she was so mad about it, all she had to do was say nicely that the store doesn't take fish or she can't accept it.

about the 210 gallons and stuff... you could just get a pond?

yeah, she had no reason to act that way. she works at a pet store for crying out loud.

in general people who say 210 gallons and such are saying the ideal environment for the fish. maybe big enough to breed, and get to their max size.

Just from reading the OP, it sounded like he was going to the LFS to donate the fish because he couldn't treat it. It also sounded like he sprung the news that it was a sick fish after she had already accepted the fish.

That is, it looks like he took a 2.5" goldfish (which isn't exactly worth very much) in and said, "Hey, will you take this?" Then after she said, "Yeah, I'll take it! That's a cute fish!" he sprung the news that the fish had a serious problem and would be a hassle to take care of.

The LFS lady apparently thought she was doing him a favor, and then he told her that she was going to have to do him an even bigger favor.

Apparently this wasn't the mindset or intention of the OP at all, but it looks like that's how the LFS lady took it. Regardless, it sounds like her customer service skills are somewhat lacking.

It appears to me that there is half a story missing here, not to mention the other side of it.
I think tostada hit the nail on the head.

Back
Top Bottom