Another Disater Waiting to happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, yesterday, I went to the LFS (Petco) and was just looking around and was asked if I needed help. I said no, that I was just looking for now. Told him that I was in the final stages of my fishless cycle. He looked at me funny, and asked, "why are you doing a fishless cycle?" Okay, I know at this point alot of you are already upset at this guy as well as I was. Anyway, he said that he always uses fish to cycle his tank. I told him, yes, that some people do it that way, but I wanted to do it the easier (more humane) way and not have to do water changes everyday. He looked at me funny again, and asked why I would need to do that. :blink:
At this point, I was ready to leave, but decided to educate this man on the right way. Of course, that was not a good idea. :banghead: (why did I stay?)
He told me that he works with a marine biologist on all his tanks there and using bacteria in a bottle to get his tanks going. So I asked him a few questions. One being; "Bacteria has to have something to grow on, right?" He said, "yes". So, I said "well, what does the bacteria grow on in a bottle?" He quickly changed direction. (How convenient)
I listened to his spill that you have to use the bacteria with this other stuff they sell in order for it to work, and yada yada yada. I finally told the guy that different people have different ways to cycle a tank and to each their own.
I guess the whole point to this thread is that I wish these people were more educated on the process of cycling a fish tank. Yes, in the old days, you cycled with fish. Nobody knew any better and that was how it was done. Things change and were learn to do things more efficiently. At least some of us do. I know that some poor soul is going to walk in there and get bad advice from this guy, and they will have a terrible experience and give up a hobby that they could have potentially enjoyed.
I have learned alot through this forum as well as doing my own research. I just wish that more people would do the research before going out and buying a 5 or 10 gallon tank and stocking it with fish that either get too big or with types that do not mingle together. But I'm glad there is a forum like this with people willing to help out! Thanks to all the wonderful people who have given me advice...you know who you are!!:flowers:

When I go to the chain stores I put on the blinders, take a direct path to what I need, ignore the employees who ask if I need help, grab what I need and walk to the register.

I've learned over time that even if you educate their employees, they will still fall back on their training and the information you provide will likely fall on deaf ears.

I was told by a 20+ years employee of Petsmart who runs the aquarium section that mentioning fishless cycling is against store policy. It just doesn't fit into their business plan.

At family owned businesses I'll hang around and chat...but at the chain stores I'm willing to knock over old ladies just to get what I need and get out, lol.

At family owned businesses I'll hang around and chat...but at the chain stores I'm willing to knock over old ladies just to get what I need and get out, lol.

:lol: Too funny! I think I'll stick to that plan next time. Too bad there isn't any family owned stores around me!!

Good for you for trying to educate them! I've always had the desire to make flyers on fishless cycling and proper stocking of fish and to plaster them all over the aquarium isle but I'm guessing that wouldn't go over to well. lol

Good for you for trying to educate them! I've always had the desire to make flyers on fishless cycling and proper stocking of fish and to plaster them all over the aquarium isle but I'm guessing that wouldn't go over to well. lol

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, I would imagine they might ask you to leave...LOL

Good for you for trying to educate them! (y)

I now avoid chain stores all toghether-unless its the dollar per gallon sale time of year again-as I've tried to strike up a conversation subtly, but in the end they think they know everything and give horrible advice. After trying for a few months to educate the people at Petco, I've given up. They probably think some snot-nosed teenager thinks he's better than they are.

Back
Top Bottom