another question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you been giving your tank a daily dose of ammonia?

You have the same problem I had. Not a big problem though. What you need to do is set a time to add 4 ppm of ammonia. Ex: 8:00 am And at 8:00 am every day add in a dose of 4 ppm. This way your bacteria can keep up with your dosing. When you add more ammonia every time it gets down to 1.0 ppm you are over dosing. (make sure you keep an eye on your levels!!!)

I dose it to 4.0 when it drops to 1.0 i dose again is this wrong?
This is correct! You have to dose it to 4ppm daily to keep your bacteria alive & fed. Dosing around the same time everyday (if possible) definitely will help because it will give you a clear idea of how much your ammonia is dropping in a 24hr period. The fact that your ammonia is dropping every day is a good sign and means your tank is cycling!

Actually you can redose or wait, it's up to you. If you wanted to wait another day to see how much further it drops, that's fine too (the bacteria won't starve as there would still be ammonia in the tank, just not 4 ppm). Just redose once in 24 hours though even if you test it more often.

Back
Top Bottom