Antibiotic questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is an antibiotic for bacterial infections would you recommend that treat the tank itself but don't mess with the color of the water and doesn't make it foamy?
I had to euthanize Jeffrey today. I am just curious about antibiotics for future issues. I have used tetracycline before but it took a long time to get the tank back to normal and it left gross foamy stuff on my glass.
Any Antibiotic recommendations for any other infections as well is welcomed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is no one antibiotic that cures all...
Some issues are 'gram positive' and others 'gram negative' , and thus the antibiotics are created to work on specific issues.
Some antibiotics have been 'worn out' by keepers and mis use / or just the disease has grown resistant to the med so treatments have moved to another antibiotic...
That being said Kannamycin /seachem kannaplex works pretty well for a good amount of issues...
here is one link on meds....
Fish Disease, Diseases of Fish, Medications & Fish Health Treatments

And another...
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

There is no one antibiotic that cures all...
Some issues are 'gram positive' and others 'gram negative' , and thus the antibiotics are created to work on specific issues.
Some antibiotics have been 'worn out' by keepers and mis use / or just the disease has grown resistant to the med so treatments have moved to another antibiotic...
That being said Kannamycin /seachem kannaplex works pretty well for a good amount of issues...
here is one link on meds....
Fish Disease, Diseases of Fish, Medications & Fish Health Treatments

And another...
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Thank you.

The best antibiotics to use are those that treat gram negative bacteria, which is the usual culprit behind most fish disease, tho body wounds and strep are gram positive, my favorite, oxytetracycline (yes you used the wrong kind) inhibits/kills both Gram + and gram - bacteria very well
These are the best antibiotics to use
kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Minocycline

The best antibiotics to use are those that treat gram negative bacteria, which is the usual culprit behind most fish disease, tho body wounds and strep are gram positive, my favorite, oxytetracycline (yes you used the wrong kind) inhibits/kills both Gram + and gram - bacteria very well
These are the best antibiotics to use
kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Minocycline

My fish store that carries antibiotics I don't believe carries minocycline. Or is that oral?

Furan 2 is also a good antibiotic for strictly outside issues - like fin rot. Kanamycin is a hard hitter that mostly focuses on internal infections or harder to treat infections in my experience.

Also, I've never heard of oxytetracycline. Is it affected by PH? Who sells it?

Quite curious about it.

Furan 2 is also a good antibiotic for strictly outside issues - like fin rot. Kanamycin is a hard hitter that mostly focuses on internal infections or harder to treat infections in my experience.

Quite curious about it.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks. Here is a picture of the fish who are affected if that helps.

Attachments

• 1469864139223.jpg
    1469864139223.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 73

Quite curious about it.
Oxytetracycline is an oldschool antibiotic that they generally mix in feed and sell at some mom and pop stores as antibiotic food.
Kensfish.com sells pellets
angelsplus.com sells flakes
You can find Powder online just about anywhere, its very good.
Cleans them right out, of everything, everytime(y)

Both minocycline and oxytetracycline are affected by high ph, however i use it in the feed so it dosent matter, you could use a slightly higher dose in higher PH system, or simply lower the PH during treatment (slowly)
Kanamycin has its own drawbacks, tho it is very good at killing gram - bacteria and works great in high PH, it is hard on kidneys and easy to overdose. It will not touch gram + bacteria so it usually is combined with Nitrofurazone.
Oxytetracycline will stop Gram - and Gram +, and is hard to overdose.
Drawback, it has been in use since the 1950s and bacteria may become resistant over time or with misuse.

Back
Top Bottom