Anubia Rescue Mission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live in Canada, so to avoid international shipping costs I go across the border to Michigan to pick up parcels. Takes about an hour of my day to run over and back. It was all sunny and nice and bam. Huge snowstorm. I wasn't able to pick up the order of three Anubias plants I had ordered for a week and a half. I had pretty much written them off but to my surprise the roots look good and although the stems broke and leaves fell off I trimmed them up in hopes of saving them. This is the current setup, keep in mind it's just a makeshift 5g that I threw together until I was able to post here.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417585529.202346.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417585580.410925.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417585669.440246.jpg

Are they salvageable? If so, any tips? I've never really dealt with plants successfully before and this was going to be my first attempt. Lol. :)

You never know with anubias-species IMO... It's just the waiting game for you know. I've had these plants shipped in the worst possible manner, some regrow, others disintegrate to a pulp... Keep in mind that these are very slowgrowing plants, the fact that you have no more leafs makes it difficult for this plant to collect sunlight and regrow. You also lack tank lighting and if I'm not mistaken Canada is not so sunny this time of the year!

Keep in mind that it is possible to regrow, but it will take you a long time before it really becomes a plant again. I would not have this kind of patience, so it's all up to you!

Oh yeah one more thing: squeeze the rizhome a bit, does it feel mushy/soft/not firm?
If the answer is yes, your plant is definitely done for.

I hope I don't came accros too negative, just trying to help :)

Sent per three-eyed raven...

You never know with anubias-species IMO... It's just the waiting game for you know. I've had these plants shipped in the worst possible manner, some regrow, others disintegrate to a pulp... Keep in mind that these are very slowgrowing plants, the fact that you have no more leafs makes it difficult for this plant to collect sunlight and regrow. You also lack tank lighting and if I'm not mistaken Canada is not so sunny this time of the year!

Keep in mind that it is possible to regrow, but it will take you a long time before it really becomes a plant again. I would not have this kind of patience, so it's all up to you!

Oh yeah one more thing: squeeze the rizhome a bit, does it feel mushy/soft/not firm?
If the answer is yes, your plant is definitely done for.

I hope I don't came accros too negative, just trying to help :)

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Yup. Mushy! Thanks for the advice. Think I'll just toss em and try and find some locally. :)

That's a bummer then...

Sent per three-eyed raven..

One thing not to do is not to bury the ryhzome in the substrate,grows well attached to dw or a rock..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I would still try to cut away the soft parts and keep what seems healthy, and attach it to wood or rock. Plants can come back to life from almost nothing if they have good conditions, so fertilizers, Excel and good lighting would give it better chances.

Back
Top Bottom