Any added benefit to adding a 2nd U tube to overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read or heard someone tell me to get a 2nd U tube....what is the benefit to this? is it just to keep things going while you remove one to clean it??

I have two. It's all about redundancy... if one fails, you still have the second to keep you in business. Plus, if your pump is bigger, there's less chance that algae buildup could slow down the flow, causing the pump to empty your sump and overflow your main tank.

It won't really make a huge difference if you're looking for more waterflow in general... a complete 2nd new overflow assembly AND a bigger pump would. The overflow can only work as fast as your pump can go :wink:

i have another overflow coming tomorrow and currently my 2 return pumps are turned down bacuase they over power the overflow rate...thats why Im getting a 2nd overflow :)
Its good reason and thanks for the advice....gezz i cant believe how expensive them lil U tubes are LOL $8 for a U tube ohmygosh

just curious....is there any way to effectly slow the flow on your overflow....just incase my 2 overflow are dumpin faster then my return pumps can pump?
Ideally I want to get a bigger return pump and use the 2 mag5s for something else but Im on a budget...so says my wife LOL

You NEED your pump to pump slower than the overflows can go. That's the trick. Your overflows will only dump out anything that the pump can pump. If it were the other way, then the pump would pump too fast, your sump would empty out, and your main tank would spill over. :wink:

Let's say your overflows could do 1000 GPH combined. You'd be safe with a pump anywhere up to 999 GPH (theoretically, in a perfect algae free envt) AFTER accounting for head pressure. 5' of head pressure could bring down your GPH rating by 200+ GPH. My mag 9.5 can't even come close to my two overflows... which is good. :D

You always want your overflows & tubes to be clean & free from barriers. Clean them out regularly so that your flow is optimal.

cool cause i figure the 2 mag 5s opened fully will pump about 7-800 gph at a head height of 3
cool cool....cant wait...
just added 3 maxijets last nite and wow...what a huge difference
added 2 600 and one 1200

Also... when I say "overflow" I mean the entire assembly... not just the "U" tube. What ultimately determines the flow back down to the sump is the diameter of the drain hose, as well as the U tube. Are you planning to get another complete assembly, or just the "U" tube alone?

Sweet! :D Then yeah... you should be fine... that will increase water flow if upgrade your pump. Basically... the two combined can "handle" the extra water flow... You'll get faster GPH IF you upgrade your main sump pump.

I like my two... makes things look symmetrical, and helps me out just in case one fails. Just make sure to put them at equal heights, or else the one closer to the top won't get nearly as much flow as the lower one (which defeats the purpose entirely).

yup....both have the same lenght tubes
so far I have a sweet water flow in my tank....2 returns and 3 PHs ready to move on...hopin my cyclin is done soon so I can get a few fish...
then upgrade my lights to prepare for coral and such

Back
Top Bottom