Any help would be great --- play sand in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan on putting play sand in my corner aquarium. When doing water changes, will the siphon suck up the sand? If so how do I go about cleaning it? And is play sand a good substrate for Cory cats and angel fish? Thanks alot and look forward to some responses.

I plan on putting play sand in my corner aquarium. When doing water changes, will the siphon suck up the sand? If so how do I go about cleaning it? And is play sand a good substrate for Cory cats and angel fish? Thanks alot and look forward to some responses.

I'd go with pool filter sand ... Generally it's bit coarser than PFS so it doesn't cloud up as quickly if disturbed yet fine enough to give you that fine sand look.
Also, if it is sucked up by a siphon, it quickly settles to the bottom.

I have used play sand in a few tanks and didnt really care for it it didnt hurt anything or have any negative effect it just looks dirty after a few weeks i use sand blasting media or pfs now

We have playsand in one of our 55gal. I love it! just be prepaired to rinse rinse rinse rinse and then rinse some more! but it's not hard. If your water becomes cloudy when you fill the tank don't turn on your filter right away. But cleaning is easy and looks nice. Just stir it up every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom