any idea what kind of algae this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One more question have often and how much of a water hange would u reccomend for my 120 gallon tank?

10% water change weekly roughly. So, 10% of 120 is 12. For my 36 gal i do 5 gal pcw. It isnt hard and simple to do with a 5 gal bucket. Heat and stir over night w/ a heater and spare powerhead.

I change out at least 20g a pop on my 90g tank. I prefer a nice large water change weekly, I usually do at least 20% on all my tanks.

Carey starting to get some red algae to now on the sand bed and 2 rocks I'm a major over feeder because I always worry the slower fish is not eating and I have had my mandarin for 3 months and never seen him eat !! My water par is all 0 no nitrate and phos is 0.04 my LEDs are powerful but they are only on from noon till 8:30 !! Going to try the bio pellets Tommorow how are they working out for u

I havent' picked up the bio pellets yet, thats for next week. :)

If the red is spreading you really need to vacuum it up and get as much of it out as you can. If it gets to be too much you can always try the chemical solution.

If you havent seen your mandarin eat how do you know it is? How long has this tank been setup and do you have pods on the rocks? I watch my mandarin like a hawk every time I feed to make sure she gets enough. I also turn off the flow when I feed that tank as well.

I love mine but i gotta say she was alot of work in the beginning. Even now I have to shut down the flow just for the scooter and mandy and I feed 2-3 times a day. lol Plus I spend like 10-15 minutes watching them to make sure they actually eat. Very time consuming, luckily I have the time.

Tanks been up since sept I see him pick at rocks but I see no pods but he swims all over tank and looks happy. But he will not go near any food I put in tank it don't even interest him!! I tried to suck out the red algae but it will not go up the syphon it's to heavy so when I do my water change Tommorow I'll scoop it and add a bio reactor

Everyone tells me 2 feed 3 times a week that's why I have red algae I can't do that to my fish in the ocean they pick all day long

I only feed so often because of the nature of the fish. Mandarins hunt all day long and need a lot of food so I try to supply it. lol I also feed my 125g twice a day cause I have two anthias in there that need multiple feedings per day.

Cutting back your feeding really won't hurt the fish, alot of people only feed a few times a week and they keep fat healthy fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom