Any SAP Puffer Experts? Thinking of a new build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Guys,

I have a 55g sitting empty and I'm contemplating setting up a puffer tank. I had a porcupine puffer a few years ago in a larger marine setup and it was one of my favourite fish I've owned.

I'd like it to be purely freshwater and I'm leaning towards an Amazon / South American Puffer.

I was wondering how many SAP I could comfortably fit in a 55g? I am thinking around 6.

Although they do well with a sand substrate - I'd like to set this tank up with a bare-bottom so that I can minimise any decaying food in the substate. They seem so active (unlike many other puffers) that from what I have read the sand substrate is not essential to keep them happy.

I have a sump setup with a small refugium that I intend to use for breeding self-cloning crayfish and occasionally feed some of the offspring to the puffs.

I'm going to be scouring the local beaches for a nice large pice of driftwood that I am thinking of covering in anubias and javamoss.

I'd really like to add a few catfish to the tank but I'm not sure which ones to go for - a group of 3 or so that are active but do not have very long whiskers or fins that may temp the puffers to nip. I would love something similar to the Cuckoo Catfish only I'd really like them to be found in the Amazon river so that the tank is more of a Amazonian biotope.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a schooling group of Amazonian cats that grow no larger than 6 inches?

I appreciate any advice you have to offer!

Tom

I don't know a lot about SAP puffs other than they are a bit more peaceful than other puffers and are full freshwater. For catfish, there are pictus cats that do get to 5"+ and look awesome IMO. Looking forward to watching this build, sounds awesome!

I don't know a lot about SAP puffs other than they are a bit more peaceful than other puffers and are full freshwater. For catfish, there are pictus cats that do get to 5"+ and look awesome IMO. Looking forward to watching this build, sounds awesome!

Thanks for the suggestion, I do like the Pictus, would 3 be suitable in a 55g if I provided enough open swimming room? I think they would be great at cleaning up after the puffers.

I'm thinking 5 SAP puffers, 3 Pictus cats and maybe a single pleco of some sorts just as a window cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, 3-4 pictus cats are doable. Plecos, most just have a huge bioload and poop 10x more than they would ever clean. You could have 1-2 bristle nose but they don't clean a lot and just are basically poop factories.

Definitely do Pictus cats. They're so fun to watch as they're really active. But make sure you have a tight-fitting lid because I lost mine when he jumped out.

Back
Top Bottom