Anyone ever replaced the top plastic bracing on a big tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been looking for a large tank to turn into a discus tank and I finally found one on craigslist.

It is a 150 gallon tank for 100 so I hate to pass on it. However I noticed in the pictures sent to me that there is cracking in the top plastic going around the tank. It is in the front and back and they mentioned one spot is slightly melted from a lighting mishap.

I saw videos on you tube about replacing the entire top plastic piece. Has anyone ever done this before?

Where can I order the supplies for this project?

Is it relatively easy to do?

Attached is a picture of the tank so any other input is appreciated.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, here is the picture

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395159590486.jpg
    1395159590486.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 63
What a great deal. Yes you can replace the top trim yourself. It takes patience and something to slide under the trim to begin to loosen it. When you have the old trim off and clean glass you can get new trim from these folks http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com. They are great to deal with and have good retail prices.

If you are going to toss the old trim, you don't have to be particularly careful removing it. You can cut it in pieces to facilitate removal.

+1 on BillD. Just be careful you don't chip the glass. Also, be careful with the top edge of the glass as it may not be finished and can be very sharp. A couple of passes with coarse sandpaper can cure that problem though.

Back
Top Bottom