Anyone Have LED Tank Lights??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I guess you're using optics, it would seem that you'll need to add more leds to prevent spotlighting?

Im not using optics, I was suggesting them for a tank with a depth of more than 17in or so based soley on my observations. You may need more leds if you use optics with much less divergeance than a bare led.

You can work it out using some trig and the angle of the optic. There is also a chart somewhere on the net that shows the PAR of these leds with optics at different depths. I cant remember where I found it. Probably over at nano-reefs though.

Matt

Optics? forgive me but the only optics I know are bino's,spotting scopes and rifle scopes.

Ok isnt a 90 degree the optimal? I do not want spotlights that is for sure, I think with the 90 degree I can set them up as where there entire tank is lit, right?

How close to the tank does these have to be?

It all depends on your tank depth. Mine are just a couple inches off the water in the 12in deep 7.5g tank and it may be too much light. In my 20g 17in deep tank, it looks like its not enough. You can always go without optics and then add them if you need them. They snap on over the led itself, so its no big deal to go without them except for the fact that having them on may require a tighter spacing. Im using 2in spacing from led center to led center within strings and and about 1.25in spacing between strings.

Id be more concerned with getting an even spread. Without optics, you could get away with 2.5in spacing within the string and 2.5in spacing between strings.

Matt

I've been gone all weekend, trying to catch up on my subscriptions this morning. Matt is got you on the right track here though.

Im not sure how much you will need optics though. If it were a reef tank I would say yes, but since its a planted tank, I would think that if you covered the top adequately, enough light would mix down low to grow plants. I am talking off a very very small knowledge of planted tanks, but I don't think they use as much PAR as corals. I could be wrong.

Either way you could probably use 80 degree optics while still using 2 or 2.5in spacing without much spotlight effect.

If someone could find that PAR at different levels with different lenses, I would really like to see it.

Got our tank a set of Blue LEDs, Just waiting for my brother too drop them off, Takes forever for him too remember to do anything lol

Got my frist set of LEDs now they look nice :) I will have too get one more set....Sorry about the crappy picture.

Attachments

• image-4283024816.jpg
    image-4283024816.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 62
I just installed some DIY LED strips to augment my daylight standard fluor bulbs and to add lunar light to my 10G reef. Since I don't have a workshop at home, I didn't build it from scratch. Instead, I assembled parts and mounted them in the fluor fixtures. Cost was about $40 for 2X 20" strips and a dimmer.

Check it out: nanoreefung | Just another WordPress.com site

The ones I got was like 6$ for the strip and power source so not too bad but my tank Is only a 10gal so dose not need too much....Do you have pictures???

Ok so totally Pissed now just put the LED in last night and the dang cat chewed right threw the cord oh I am soooo mad!!!!

Back
Top Bottom