Anyone know anything about "Filamentosa Killi"s? I got a pair today, cant find info!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone know anything about "Filamentosa Killi"s? I got a pair today, cant find info!

I have developed a killi obsession, they are just the cutest fish, they have great personalities! I brought home a pair of Filamentosa killis today ("Aphyosemion filamentosa" is their scientific name). Because of the first part of the name, I assumed they were non annuals like the Chocolate or A. Australe gold. But now that I am home researching, I'm not finding any info. Even the pics that come up don't look like mine. I'm attaching a pic of the boy, he is sooo pretty! Great shade of opalescent blue.

I was going to ask if they could be housed with Gardneris, but I did end up doing it before I could get on here and the answer is YES! They are like best couple friends. It's great! I'm assuming they won't interbreed? I have a spawning mop for the Gardneris in there and I'll add another for these new guys.

Any info is much appreciated, thank you fishie friends!!

Attachments

• filokilli.jpg
    filokilli.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 164
Don't know anything about them, but what an attractive fish! Reminds me a little of a Peacock Gudgeon, with the coloring being different. Love the blue and the red splotches near the face! Sounds like you made a great find!

Thank you! I'm excited about them! The girl is actually really pretty, too, but she didn't want her picture taken. Haha

He's gorgeous. Have you tried looking on German sites. Most of the info you can get on killis is on German websites.

I'd say he's a non annual as he is an aphoysemion and can most likely be housed with your gardneri.

Just don't expect many spawns, all eggs are likely to be eaten.

Hi, Mattfinn!
Thank you. I'm so glad I got them, it was between them and the "Red Striped Killi" (Aphyosemion striatum) - they are gorgeous, but I have seen them before at this pet store and online, so I can get them next time. These guys seem a little more unique, and I have never seen them sold before.
I did find an article in another language that I used the translator for, it said they are peat spawners or may use a spawning mop at the bottom. I'm not super worried about breeding, I'm just enjoying having them for now, but with them being so unusual I'd love to be able to have at least a few eggs! So if they are all being eaten and I can't save any, I will move them to their own tank and try a bit harder.

Here's a pic of the girl! Photos don't do them justice, they both have the most amazing opalescent sheen, it reminds me of that nail polish top coat girls used to love in the 90s. Haha.
She wouldn't stretch out and show her fins, but they are quite spotted and decorated! Really cool. She is the best looking female killi I've seen.

Attachments

• IMG_20150508_233902.jpg
    IMG_20150508_233902.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 110
Aaand here's them chillin with the Gardneris. Love it

Attachments

• killifriends.jpg
    killifriends.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 114
You can't find info because you need to search fundulopanchax filamentosus, they haven't been aphyosemion filamentosum for some time.
Also they could cross with your gardneri.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom