Anyone use almond bark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did a search and found lots of posts about almond leaves but nothing about bark. I have 3 nice sized pieces I want to use but I can only get 1 of them to sink. I have it in a bowl weighted down and soaking but seem to be making no progress. Starting to wish I had gotten the leaves instead :facepalm:

Guessing youll treat it like any other wood? Put It in a big container with boiling or warm water for a week or two, so it gets water logged and loses most of its tannings. Obviously youll have to change the water, I used a brewing 25L bucket and changed the water everyday, this was for driftwood though, worth a shot? Youll just have to weigh it down in the container

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Sometimes I don't have much patience :)

Did you get the Almond bark with the intention of using it like one would use Indian Almond Leaves?

Yes, read about lots of good benefits of using either, plus I wanted some sort of wood in the tank.

Yes, read about lots of good benefits of using either, plus I wanted some sort of wood in the tank.

In this case you can put small pieces of bark in a media bag and put in the filter if you have an Aquaclear or a canister. You really don't want to boil the bark or the leaves because that gets rids of the beneficial properties. Also some fish prefer the tannins. :)

In this case you can put small pieces of bark in a media bag and put in the filter if you have an Aquaclear or a canister. You really don't want to boil the bark or the leaves because that gets rids of the beneficial properties. Also some fish prefer the tannins. :)

<smacks head> Can't believe I didn't think of that, I was just changing the media bag on one of my other tanks....

Hey that's why there is a fish forum. Plenty of times the rest of us don't always think of things straight away. I once had to ask how to use a sponge filter. LOL

Good idea bren haha, i was thinking more of a decor then anything else

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom