Anyone use Weiss Algae Killer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NorCalAl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have most algae beat, except for the green fuzz on the edges of several plant leaves. Java fern, mostly. The oto's don't eat off those, for some reason.
So, does anyone use the Weiss stuff? I dose Excel, Iron and Comprehensive right now - just ordered Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus. That's 10 days away from getting here though.
Without blacking out the tank (couldn't live without it for 4 days anyway), will any of the ferts I ordered (I heard Nitrogen will help big time!) work to eliminate this stuff? Or the Weiss product? It's all natural (right) so not a chemical.
Arrrg! I want it gone!
Or should I just get a BN pleco?

Personally I would wait until you get the ferts and then work to eliminate the algae by getting the nutrient levels in balance. At best algae killers tend to be a quick fix by eliminating the symptoms and often make things worse instead. Getting your nutrients in balance is a long term solution that correct the underlying problem.

Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT use algicides. they do not correct the nutrient imbalance that causes the algae, so they aren't a fix to the problem...more like a piece of duct tape covering it up for a couple days.

then it comes back worse because all the algae you killed decomposes and causes further issues with nutrient imbalance.

You have all these ferts coming, but I didn't see any water test parameters. If you want to keep algae away for good, you need Nitrate and phosphate test kits, and we'll also need to know your pH, and dKh to determine CO2 levels. 80w over 65g isn't much light, so CO2 and heavy fert dosing won't be necessary. Knowing your nutrient levels will be necessary.

That's the kind of info I need! I actually do have the test kits, just not sure what the levels should be to eliminate the problem.
And while I know and have been through the whole co2 thing, both here and on another forum, and I'm sure pressurized is much better, is there a case here for using one of the simpler reactor-type co2 units? Or should that be determined from the results of the testing?

OK, so one more time, does anyone have the numbers to be looking for to help me eliminate the issue? I've noticed that since I switched to daily dosings of Excel that the algae has started to pull back. The one plant that had hair algae is almost clear and the other algae is not as bushy. I was dosing every other day but recently changed.
Thanks for any help.

malkore said:
Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT use algicides. they do not correct the nutrient imbalance that causes the algae, so they aren't a fix to the problem....

You are correct in that they aren't a permanent fix; the user must correct the issues that are actually causing the problem. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with also using an algaecide to get rid of the majority of the existing algae. One must be careful however to select the right one. Some can harm plants (and are intended for fish only tanks) and/or invertebrates.

Additionally, the original poster specifically asked about the Weiss "Algae Killer" (it's actually Algae Magic), which is not an algaecide. I have not personally used the product, but by reading the description and ingredients, it seems to work very similar to the theory behind the "Estimated Index" method of fertilizing planted tanks. The product would therefore only have an effect in a planted tank.

NorCalAl said:
OK, so one more time, does anyone have the numbers to be looking for to help me eliminate the issue? I've noticed that since I switched to daily dosings of Excel that the algae has started to pull back. The one plant that had hair algae is almost clear and the other algae is not as bushy. I was dosing every other day but recently changed.
Thanks for any help.

Nitrogen and phosphate ratio should be in a 10:1 to 20:1 ratio. So if you have 1ppm phosphate, then you should have between 10-20ppm nitrate, preferably closer to 10-15. As for the CSM+B, you should dose enough to dose your tank with .1-.2ppm iron I believe. So check your dosing amount.

As for Excel, it's a pretty good replacement for CO2 injection, but not 100% like it. And yes, the addition of Excel will help very much. But remember there's a couple plants that will not do good with it, and will melt and die. The 2 are vals and anacharis. Not sure if there's any others.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to start soon as they get here. Hopefully, I'll see a big change.

I've got both vals and anacharis and both are responding to Excel by growing like MAD! So maybe I'm either lucky or others are dosing higher. I'm at 1ml/10gal/day.

As for those plants, the manufacturer recommends either half dose or every other day, or something like that. So if you are doing a smaller dose than the full dose, you should be fine. Excel is a great product, I use it in 2 non-CO2 tanks. And have supplimented my 75G with it now and then. But my vals don't like it at all, so I've stopped. I have jungle vals (American Vals). They didn't even like the smaller dose that I was dosing.

Back
Top Bottom