Anyone used Petco brand sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoNitrates

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few years ago I bought some Tahitian Moon sand. It was beautiful but was nearly impossible to vacuum without sucking out the sand. I swore I'd never have sand again. I was in Petco and saw their brand of sand. It's a little bit larger than the other stuff I had. Has anyone used it? I may get a 5 lb bag and put in the 5.5 tank I have in the closet and try to gravel vacuum it and see how it does.

A few years ago I bought some Tahitian Moon sand. It was beautiful but was nearly impossible to vacuum without sucking out the sand. I swore I'd never have sand again. I was in Petco and saw their brand of sand. It's a little bit larger than the other stuff I had. Has anyone used it? I may get a 5 lb bag and put in the 5.5 tank I have in the closet and try to gravel vacuum it and see how it does.

I have it in my tank I bought the black color and both my fish and I love it. It was very clean, so cleaning was quick and easy and i find siphoning waste and debris off the surface to be painless.

Yep I bought 45lbs of black sand for my 60 gallon, and the fish pop against it.
It is a pain the rinse at first but totally worth it!
Highly recommend!!

I have used 3 colors, blue, orange-ish, and black 3 times.

Loved the blue and orange very clean (rinsed all of it well). Had good experience with the 1st bag of black, almost 2 years ago, 2nd time bought another bag to supplement quantity and had awful experience with it foaming in my tank, about a year ago. And the 3rd bag purchased at the same time but went into a different tank had no problems at first. I eventually combined all the Petco sand into one tank.

Later now I am finding the color coming off and some of the "black" sand looks like grains of (clearish to white) coarse sugar. I am really disappointed in the last two bags of black. It seemed much more fine than the first bag I bought. I was wondering if it was the bottom of the batch or something.

I would just try to make sure to try and stay away from silty looking sand Petco sand, just uniform grains.

The instructions say not to rub it too much, and I cleaned it with my hands once, but not really vigorously, lol.

The blue was used for appx a year or so and the orange has been used for nearing 2 years (still in one tank), no problems.

I also had CaribSea sand and sucked up lots of it. The Petco sinks much more quickly as it is generally much more coarse.

Occasionally I had a little bit of it float. Just stirred it around and it sank.

Have you ever considered Eco Complete. I have been using it and there is no rinsing. Amazon will do free shipping with $25, free shipping on "rocks" is nice:)

3 days ago I bought a 5 lb bag of Petco sand. I put it in my 5.5 gallon. Sifted through it for awhile and could not get the air bubbles out of it. It's been sitting for 3 days and every now and then an air bubble comes up and the sand sticks to it and the sand will stay at the top. I don't want this stuff to float up because it can get in the filter intakes. So I'm going to get something else.

3 days ago I bought a 5 lb bag of Petco sand. I put it in my 5.5 gallon. Sifted through it for awhile and could not get the air bubbles out of it. It's been sitting for 3 days and every now and then an air bubble comes up and the sand sticks to it and the sand will stay at the top. I don't want this stuff to float up because it can get in the filter intakes. So I'm going to get something else.

I would use a clean chopstick or 2 to rake through the sand to see if you can bump out any extra bubbles. It might help. And a quick stir with the chop stick around the floating ones should get them to sink right away.

Did you have a pre filter sponge on the intake?

Other wise Eco-Complete would get my vote.

Here is a pretty good pic of the Eco in my 72G so you can see if you like it.
60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

Thanks for the pic Autumnsky, but the sand you have looks very coarse. I want some fine stuff-I think it looks better.

I thought about getting the Petco black sand because of the uniformity and consistency (color/grain size). I think it would make the plants and shrimp "pop" in my shrimp tank. Not sure how well it would perform as a plant substrate.

Ended up getting black EcoComplete because it was super cheap at my local Petco ($9 per bag).

This isn't the best pic but this is the sand - it really is black, but if you notice the light color specs that is the clearish sugar like granules where the color came off. I still like it alright as I said but it is NOT all staying black

60074-albums9764-picture59829.jpg

Here is the orange-ish color texture, very slight color loss, stayed mostly uniform, but there are light spots too.

Back
Top Bottom