API CO2 Booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacky12

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want red plants but am not ready to do CO2 injection. It sounds so complex. Would this liquid work?:thanks:

I dont think those liquid CO2 boosters are actually a carbon supplement. They are actually a mild algaecide which will help things as it means you can turn the lights up a little. I use seachem excel and i believe it aids plant growth (although i accept it may just be a placebo). I dont think it is a suitable replacement to CO2 though. I have crypts in my tank that have reddish leaves and they do fine without CO2. All depends on specific plants.

The thing to do is try it. That way you learn from first hand experience if it works.

Thank, I’ll look into crypts. I have some red plants due any day in the mail. Half will go into a 10 G tank with no liquid supplement & the rest in an adjacent 10 G tank & the CO2 Boost. I’ll post pics here if I can figure out how.

Just be aware that you need to look at plants over a period of months to tell if they are doing good or not. Pretty much every much plant will have been cultivated immersed in water, had easy access to CO2 and will suddenly have that cut off and need to transition. That transition can take weeks, and you could lose all the original growth to melt before new, more tolerant growth comes through.

I would also add that those red coloured plants are normally high light demand too. What you will find is if you give the plants the high light they need, without sufficient CO2 and nutrients then the plants won't work and algae will take advantage.

Like i said though, give it a go and report back.

Is CO2 injection as complex as it appears upon casual perusal? Does the equipment make your tank area look like an auto repair garage?

Back
Top Bottom