API General Cure ~ ick ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:) Hello I was hoping to ask you a question if you caught this.

I am treating for the first time ( 4 clown fish ) they have white spots ( but ) it also looks like what people show as brookenella.

Please note: It was suggested to use general cure ~ I also have on hand Melifex.

I started treating in a 5 gallon tank , checking daily water parameters. I’m concerned for ammonia rise due to 4 fish ( I have been removing about 15% daily ).

When I do this I add a small amount of the general cure for the amount I removed. I also dip the fish in a fresh water dip to clear their gills. As I’m prepping the water.

After 4 days they don’t look any better~ I see same if not more amount of white spots.

Any thoughts ✨ Should I keep going as I am with general cure?

Should I try a different ick medication such as Ick X ?

I purchased a 5 gallon new tank with bells and whistles to accommodate what is called a clinic tank by my son.

I don’t think I can use copper because it’s small and it will cost a lot more to buy a Hanna checker after the $60 small clinic tank. I’m hoping to have someone recommended to me an Ich medicine I can purchase around the $20 range.

Thank you for all your help , I have no fish people in my life to ask . So I appreciate any wisdom and knowledge.

✨thank you ✨

Attachments

• 76C12475-067B-4BFA-A8C2-C9F2E97B903E.jpg
    76C12475-067B-4BFA-A8C2-C9F2E97B903E.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 48
  • B0096370-BEB9-4FC3-9871-E3DEC5494A03.jpg
    B0096370-BEB9-4FC3-9871-E3DEC5494A03.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 52
  • AC933CBE-B8F1-4798-AAF6-C4D6D29F5AA3.jpg
    AC933CBE-B8F1-4798-AAF6-C4D6D29F5AA3.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 6E252A7C-6137-445A-86D9-F23CE02EC68A.jpg
    6E252A7C-6137-445A-86D9-F23CE02EC68A.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 51
There is no cure for ich outside of copper medications. I'm not sure why you would need a hanna checker to do so? That for sure isn't true for starters.
In a hospital tank, if you have any detectable ammonia you will need to do water changes. You can't cycle such a system because of the copper. An endless cycle of water changes as you're trying to get ahead of the problem.

So, lets take this to the basics since you don't have any fish people. Check out our article section, it is filled with loads of starter information that you will need to know. Some of such, like cycling, are the foundation for you to be successful because I see an uncycled tank.
Secondly, clownfish only work in pairs. And you have doubled that. Some day, and it might not be today, but they will kill each other down to the number of two. And that is if any of the four survive the brawls, because the stress and incoming ich will kill them. At this point, I'd return the fish if possible and start off with a bare tank.
What size of tank do you want your display tank to be? You've said a 5 gallon for a hospital tank, which is fine. But what are we working with that you would like to be happy to look at every day?

Hello I just typed a whole book �� on this ( I’m sorry it didn’t go through).

I hope this reaches you ?

I have a 60 gallon ( matured tank for close to a year now). I have other fish , carpet anemone , and leather corals in that set up . I purchased the clinic tank last weekend. I placed it right next to the show tank and my other fish and the clowns swim and connect though the glass.

I now understand about the clowns amd learned of that after the fact . I have always had them in a school I had six and lost one . I also lost a scopas tang who brought the Ich into my show tank . I had him for over a month as where I have had my clowns first over 8 months ago with never showing a sign of sickness ( their scales were amazingly clear and really good color . I look at them and inspect them daily. My other fish file fish, Valentini puffer and Koran angel fish all really loved the Scorpas tang .

The group of clown fish are territorial to the left side of the tank. And are the ones that love to be on one side of the tank while the other fish occupy the whole tank . However, each of the other fish come around and hang out with the clowns. They don’t fight with each other they eat together all of them . I feed them well to not feel they need to fight. The clowns are adorable and actually will swimming together to the other side and catch the current and if one clown is left behind the others will wait or try to get it to stay with the pack . The tang and the Valentini puffer sleep with the clowns. And this is where I believe the clowns started showing small signs of Ich .

Sorry, I lost (one ) when the tang died , and (I lost an orange ) when it became bad ( I then went to the store amd purchased a fully equipped clinic tank).

I treated with general cure because I saw on YouTube it showed excellent results. Also I have tried supper Ich in the past years ( I did move across country and had to close down that tank ) I didn’t have success .

I was nervous to try copper because I heard you really need to be testing copper and now that the tank is very small 5 gallons . I was concerned.

I do daily checks of my water parameters for ammonia and keep it at zero , I move out all food . I do a ph check , keep it at 8.4-8.8 ( I use the api reef testers by color).
I keep my salinity at 1.026-1.025. I use reef crystals. I have an aqua max RODI . I also set up the tank ( clinic tank) with my show tank water after checking my show tank parameters and doing a fresh water change. And placed a live rock , some sand inside the clinic tank to help with the live bacteria. Because I was nervous of new tank syndrome.

Every other day this week I have done a fresh water dip, after hearing the water to the clinic tank level 75 degrees and also adding a PH buffer to bring up the ph to 8.4 ( or again in the purple based off test).

Can you please let me know what brand you like of the copper treatment & also what you would dose for a 5 gallon. ����

PS I have an 8” green carpet anemone who loves my black clown and they are like family to us.
I’ve had them for over 7 or 8 months now . They were the first ones in my tank.

Bless you and appreciate your help !

API General Cure ~ ick?

Here are some pics of my show tank along with the clinic tank on its side. Please note my show tank is not looking the best because I have been working on both and have lowered my water in the large tank.

I have a NU - Canister filter run by a external power drive IWAKI MD. I do bubble scrubbing along with a surface skimmer to keep my surface very clear. I use GFO ( very small amount if I have an alge issue) I use carbon and a small amount of zodialite . I dose every other day , I feed my fish krill, shrimp, clams, pellets , and blood worms ( a change it up ).

I have been doing this sense I started my tank almost a year ago / 2 months shy. This is my first disease Ich issue with this set up ( I believe it is as the Scopas that brought it in because I saw one or two spots but in my experience that was usually a shipping nerves and after a fresh dip it would relieve).

I know I probably have it in my show tank the Ich and made the decision if and when they show signs to then treat in a clinic tank and purchased one .

Thank you for your time ✨

Attachments

• 307CC348-3688-4C95-B5A7-EC99FC504C37.jpg
    307CC348-3688-4C95-B5A7-EC99FC504C37.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 41
  • 6C86F448-269D-472F-8F01-CA059F051498.jpg
    6C86F448-269D-472F-8F01-CA059F051498.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1E80D84B-FB54-4F25-9629-52098A8EEA68.jpg
    1E80D84B-FB54-4F25-9629-52098A8EEA68.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 41
  • C8C78FB3-7E19-4445-8B2A-D72B6663E714.jpg
    C8C78FB3-7E19-4445-8B2A-D72B6663E714.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 42
I have always in the past used hyposalinity . That was a long time ago but it did work for me. Ich meds have never worked for me. A larger tank would be better.

I have always in the past used hyposalinity . That was a long time ago but it did work for me. Ich meds have never worked for me. A larger tank would be better.

A good point, as freshwater dips have also had reported success. I personally have never tried, as it is only removing the cyst life stage of the parasite...

But after reading through things, you're telling us that two clowns have set up a territory. Things will probably get messy, because then it isn't a harem anymore...something I still struggle to understand how people get going without this very event happening. But besides that, saying that there is a 'little' ich is very far off. You have ich. It isn't the worst case ever, but there is a full scale problem going on.
The general suggestion is a hospital tank to treat, be it copper or hypo, with a fallow tank for 5-6 weeks. This is the length of time for the ich parasite to move through its three life stages and die off. If there are fish there, even healthy ones, you aren't going to stop anything.

Back
Top Bottom