API Test kit gone bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is after 12 drops the chart ends. I could probably find an extension for it, but for now Ill settle on knowing the kh is high, or im doing something wrong

I can give you the extension. Number of drops=number of degrees KH. I promise you it's really that simple.

Can't kh also be measured in ppm? I understand your part, but was wondering about ppm. Of course, i honestly don't know much about what these mean other than harder water means things like ph dont sway, and harder water usually means higher ph. And I gues most plants and SA fish like it softer/lower. At least this stuff is my understanding

Can't kh also be measured in ppm? I understand your part, but was wondering about ppm. Of course, i honestly don't know much about what these mean other than harder water means things like ph dont sway, and harder water usually means higher ph. And I gues most plants and SA fish like it softer/lower. At least this stuff is my understanding
KH can be described in ppm but usually it's just spoken of in degrees. 12+ degrees KH just means your water has a lot of carbonate buffers... I think. 12 is actually exceptionally high, I know that much.

That's what I figured my tank was. Before i took off my rim, water that got in it left a calcium build up. ( I think that's what it was

Then it's odd your tank's pH was dropping. I honestly don't know what to say. Hopefully someone brighter and wiser than I can help.

I get the same results with my PH test. Had it around a year. The low reading is always 7.6 and the high test is always 7.4. It has to do with the way the test is set up. Each one has a set point it will read with a margin of error. They are just not 100% accurate. It shows you that the PH is staying steady between 7.4 and 7.6. Not a big difference in the overall scheme of things. You would have to get a lab calibrated test to get closer to a 100% reading on PH. It would make the price of the test very high. I have very hard water that creates deposits on the glass too. My GH stays around 7-8 drops but my KH takes 14-20 drops depending on the tank. I have several with varying amounts of CO2 and driftwood and buffers like shells and limestone.

Back
Top Bottom