Apple snail shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, that is an ivory snail or as some people call it albino apple snail. Your snail is lacking something in its diet and that is why the rough texture is appearing on its shell. Most likely it's lacking calcium. Calcium is a big thing in a snail's diet because it make there shell strong and healthy. What are you feeding it right now. Btw I have 6 of these guys and there huge so just a heads up you better have a large enough tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395188963.137541.jpgthis is my regular apple snail compared to my hand. Pretty big but I don't know if they ivory ones get the same size.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395189019.869355.jpghere is another pic

That's a big snail!!!! I did remember hearing once a member here kept an apple snail in their massive (~1000g) koi pond, that they are very luck to have, and it got even bigger than that, if possible :p

That's a big snail!!!! I did remember hearing once a member here kept an apple snail in their massive (~1000g) koi pond, that they are very luck to have, and it got even bigger than that, if possible :p

Yah these guys do get pretty big. I'm a breeder so I sell the baby snails to people once they get large enough. I gave one to my veterinarian clinic because they have a huge tank I think it's about 70 gallons and the snail got so big. It was literally the size of your 2 fist put together. The trick is to feed them a lot of natural things like veggies. They also eat egg shell witch helps with there shell.

Here is a pic of the same type of snail but in a different tank. I don't understand why they look so different. I was told they are apple snails

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 109
I feed them zucchini and they eat the plants

That's pretty good but they need some more protein and calcium. I would go out to your fish store and buy your snail some kind of pellet food that is high in protein. There are 2 good kinds of pellets that I use for my snails. Don't get me wrong these are not foods you should feed your snails as daily meals. I would only use these to supplement with what your feeding the snail now. Also you should really get a cuddle fish bone those work well.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395282672.225586.jpg

Here is a pic of the same type of snail but in a different tank. I don't understand why they look so different. I was told they are apple snails

Well it's a kind of apple snail but I think what you have is more formally known as a mystery snail. Mystery snails eat more meat then veggies and that is why people usually keep them in planted tanks. Also the mystery snails do not get as big as the true apple snails. Well I really shouldn't say true but the actual name for the kind I have is Cana. The Canas are usually the most common so that is why I say true apple snail.

How do you feed the egg shells for example? My snail is having the same problem. How often do I feed each thing (pellet, veg, shells)? This is a great thread! Very helpful!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do you feed the egg shells for example? My snail is having the same problem. How often do I feed each thing (pellet, veg, shells)? This is a great thread! Very helpful!

Well you have to take the yoke out of the shell first and you can ether feed the shell raw or boiled. It's better to boil it if you have a small snail because it's easier to chew. If you have a larger snail like mine it doesn't make a difference. Feed the snail a verity of foods all the time. Maybe one day only feed pellets and another day feed veggies. Oh I forgot to mention all you have to do with the egg shell is drop it in the tank there is no special way to feed it.

Ok great, I read about crushing them. Mine is about the size of a quarter. I will do all of that! Thanks!

also make sure you're doing enough water changes so that the snail has fresh water with trace minerals to help build the shell up

Yeah, at our pet store, they keep a vacation feeder and a small piece of cuttlebone in their tanks for protein and calcium. Of course, vacation feeders really gunk up your system, but a sinking shrimp pellet once in a while should give them a nice protein boost. I've never heard of egg shell -we're constrained at the pet store by a "no outside products" rule; it sounds cleaner though, especially if you boil the shell for a few seconds to remove excess gunk :)

We also add plant bits that float in our plant tank...a good variety keeps them happy....but it does not stop people from buying them just to "clean" their tanks :(

Back
Top Bottom